Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 Resurrection
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
How are you liking that Dub Shop EFI kit? I've had my eye on their stuff for some time now.

My set-up has not been without flaws, could be from running older hardware with new software? A couple of production issues caused problems early on, but Mario at The Dub Shop has been a tremendous help. Not only diagnosing problems, but shipping things overnight to stay on top of it. He got me in touch with another local customer with good skills as far as tuning goes, so I've now had someone to "ride along" and tune as we go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Great job bringing this beauty back to life. Original paint is worth saving.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

How are you liking that Dub Shop EFI kit? I've had my eye on their stuff for some time now.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Happy to see some news here, car looks great after polishing Cool

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Oh man, it's good to see you back!

My Ghia is happily running with the parts I got from you.
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

I can't believe it's been six years since I posted anything on this car! I'll have you know its alive and kicking. I'll try to catch everyone up in short order...

Continuing with the interior, I finished the carpet, added some lobster claw lap belts to the rear, as well as a couple of custom drink holders...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Installed a Don West rebuilt wiper assembly...

Cleaned out the front rocker area and reinstalled the covers and seals after powder coating them...

Engine installed, 1641 w/ dual Kads...

Finished polishing the OG paint and reinstalled all the trim...

The engine lasted a couple of year, then finally upgraded to this 1967cc with CB single TB EFI, updated by The Dub Shop...

[/img]
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

NWGhiaGuy wrote:
So here's my question... has anyone successfully dyed or painted a set of rubber mats? I'm not looking for perfection, but all one color would be nice.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549092
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

This week I installed a carpet set from Newton Commercial. For the most part I'm happy with it, but the forward bulkhead piece needs some work. I've already called them on it an I hope to get a better one. Anyway, the carpets look great, but I want to reuse original floor mats. As you can see here, the mats I have are different colors. The one on the right is original to the car, but even it is faded from it's original grey color (the back looks better - also when wet). So here's my question... has anyone successfully dyed or painted a set of rubber mats? I'm not looking for perfection, but all one color would be nice.

scranscran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Nice, sounds like you get as much satisfaction in getting to those nooks and cranny's as I do. LOL Thanks for the advice/process, there is such a difference in the paint on your, gives me hope that there is still alot of life left in my paint job as well. It's also a light color like yours, pearl white...
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

scranscran wrote:
Love seeing the progress, I have a 66 Fasty, and its cool to see all the little similarities on the Bug, Ghia, and Type III's for that year. I have a couple of questions about your progress. I just got done doing a full refresh on the front end/suspension, about to tackle the rear. I don't think anything has ever been out of the car, and it is nasty! Where did you rent the heated pressure washer? I was just planning on putting in lots of elbow grease and hours doing it by hand, but that would work wonders! Second, what was your process in regards to the paint? My car has the original paint, thin, primer showing through in a few spots. Any tips on how to bring it back to life, or at least the best it can be? I was just planning on clay baring the hell out of it, do a round of cleaner/conditioner, maybe a light compound with a random orbit buffer, then a couple of coats of wax. Any magic products you recommend, tricks, tips, etc.?

I rented the pressure washer from Birch Equipment. They are a rental supplier of mainly industrial equipment here in the PNW. I'm sure there is a company like that near you.

No magic to the paint. This is only the second car I've ever done this to, so I'm no professional!! I started with Meguires ultra cut 105 with a wool pad. Be careful, this will cut through the paint!! Then I switched to a polish and foam pad, and finished it off with a hand-applied coat of good-old carnauba wax. It really helps having all the emblems, trim, and mirrors off the car.

Last night I used a steamer and tooth brush to clean the door jambs. It never ends...
scranscran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Love seeing the progress, I have a 66 Fasty, and its cool to see all the little similarities on the Bug, Ghia, and Type III's for that year. I have a couple of questions about your progress. I just got done doing a full refresh on the front end/suspension, about to tackle the rear. I don't think anything has ever been out of the car, and it is nasty! Where did you rent the heated pressure washer? I was just planning on putting in lots of elbow grease and hours doing it by hand, but that would work wonders! Second, what was your process in regards to the paint? My car has the original paint, thin, primer showing through in a few spots. Any tips on how to bring it back to life, or at least the best it can be? I was just planning on clay baring the hell out of it, do a round of cleaner/conditioner, maybe a light compound with a random orbit buffer, then a couple of coats of wax. Any magic products you recommend, tricks, tips, etc?
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Reach out to your sphere vw of influence guys, if you patch and blend it will still be 90% og paint. Very Happy Nothing better than og paint survivors and yours is a super cool color/look....And a 66. Cool

how did you patch the gas tank?

Good point..

I used a use fuel tank repair putty on the exterior. Keeping an eye on it.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Reach out to your sphere vw of influence guys, if you patch and blend it will still be 90% og paint. Very Happy Nothing better than og paint survivors and yours is a super cool color/look....And a 66. Cool

how did you patch the gas tank?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Its looking great. Do you plan to do the small repairs and blend the paint?

paints not my thing... and since this is 90% original paint, I'd rather not. My goal here is preservation, not restoration.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Its looking great. Do you plan to do the small repairs and blend the paint?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

Still making progress. Since it runs and drives, now I can work on the pretty stuff!!!

Here are a few before and after pics of the paint...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Trim & side badge installed:

A little before and a little after:
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
is that the bottom side of the tank?

if so, i wonder how that happened after you POR-15'd it.

Yeah, when the outside was media blasted and powder coated, it must have blown through a weak spot.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

is that the bottom side of the tank?

if so, i wonder how that happened after you POR-15'd it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

minor setback...

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Resurrection Reply with quote

NWGhiaGuy wrote:
....and the gas tank is ready to go back in after the POR-15 restoration of the inside and powder coating on the outside...

Ah! brings back fond memories of doing the very same thing on mine. Man these '66 Ghias are something else. Luv 'em to bits.

Nicholas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: