Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I use my bus all year, winter shouldn't stop you from camping! I installed a pretty cool heating setup, hopefully some of you can use my setup for your camping enjoyment.

I've been here on The Samba for a while, never really shared what I do for a living (not much of a living financially, haha!).

Link

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

It's not the cold it's the SALT that will eat your bus, that's why folks store them during winter.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Cool, I VDub all year too!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Good to see you use the official meal for snow storms. If you notice, people hear there is a snowstorm and they go get milk, eggs and bread. It's obvious to me, it's because they all want french toast when a big snow storm is coming in.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

hey gregg, i camp in the winter. course i live on the beach in california. does that count?

great to see you making it work in slightly more extreme conditions.

dt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not the cold it's the SALT that will eat your bus, that's why folks store them during winter.

And I used to be one of those folks. But then someone asked what I was saving it for, the next guy?
There's a lot of truth in that question.
I have hot water plumbed in to my outdoor spigot, and wash it off thoroughly after each trip.
These things are meant to be used.

Quote:
Good to see you use the official meal for snow storms. If you notice, people hear there is a snowstorm and they go get milk, eggs and bread. It's obvious to me, it's because they all want french toast when a big snow storm is coming in.

Haha, very good point! That must be the official meal of snowstorms! Good call!

Quote:
i camp in the winter. course i live on the beach in california. does that count?

Yeah man, that counts! I'd kill to be there camping! I'll trade with you six months a year?!

Thanks for checking it out everyone, I don't usually whore myself on here for my channel but figured you'd all appreciate it.
So, Thanks guys
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Quote:
Cool, I VDub all year too!

Hell yeah man! Let me know if you ever want some camping company in Colorado! I could use an excuse to head that way, besides the obvious excuses haha!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

We don't mind below freezing temps and snow at all and drive the Bus and camp year round too. A good undercarriage spray down and a quick wash after the trip works well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

A good test case was my dad's bus. He bought it in 1969 when we lived in Tucson. Then moved to St. Louis in 1972. It spent from then to 2024 in St. Louis. It was driven one winter and my mom told my dad that she wanted a car because the bus had terrible heat and having me stand up and reach over to keep the inside of the windscreen clear while she drove it was not going to cut it.

So for 52 years it was never driven in the winter again. Guess what, it's rust free. All while I watched many busses in the area rust to the ground. For me, I'm not driving it in the winter, I'm over that point in my life. I did enough winter camping in my Eurovan and that was enough for me. Thus why it was sold and I have an RV.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:

And I used to be one of those folks. But then someone asked what I was saving it for

There is something to be said about that. I watched my dad just park that bus for years and then get it out and drive it for a bit and then park it again. When he sold his repair shop, I expected him to drive it more. Did he? Nope. It was driven to just get things like pavers, lumber and mulch because he had projects around the house. After he got done with those, he just parked it again. He then got dementia and thus no way he was doing any driving. For something he loved, he could have enjoyed it more, yet is now dead and thus it's mine. He wasted at least 10 years of enjoyment out of it before he couldn't drive. It's like his 1980 Yamaha 650 (he bought new) that looks like brand new and has 738 miles on it. I got to get rid of that thing because I could care less about motorcycles.

I see this with the Corvette crowd. Old white guys buy a Corvette, only drive it on sunny days in the summer. Keep it all waxed up (today it's getting the most expensive ceramic coating) plus put like 1000 miles per year and change the oil like crazy. Then keep it under a cover. Driving it in the winter with snow tires? No way. Even though a Corvette has an aluminum frame and SMC panels (even the floor panels) they are pretty much not going to rust. Yet most sit for 8 months. They typically go through batteries because the sit so much.

I never understand that. Most get too old to drive or die and then the family needs to unload it.
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Winter camping is the best, especially during a massive snow storm. We camp year round but winter is the best. This was in the Poconos this year.

https://youtu.be/i1fUA4CyzSc?si=fypjPKBl5HlM1jpG
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

Strawberry pop tarts
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Winter camped in October,November, twice In December, February, Sebring race infield in March, and one last time next weekend.
Too hot here to summer camp. May to September it's parked, October to April is camping.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Awesome video! I’ve done a little winter camping in my bus and it’s definitely pretty camping in the snow. For my current bus build I’m planning on installing a wood stove similar to what you did.

I also highly recommend to undercoat/ cavity prevention with fluid film, I’ve driven my bus in a few winters and I haven’t seen any rust come up.

Driving a bus in the winter with good heat is one of the best things, my favorite driving is on a sunny day where everything is covered in a blanket of snow, even the road and just being warm inside and enjoying the beauty of it all.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Quote:
see this with the Corvette crowd. Old white guys buy a Corvette, only drive it on sunny days in the summer. Keep it all waxed up (today it's getting the most expensive ceramic coating) plus put like 1000 miles per year and change the oil like crazy. Then keep it under a cover. Driving it in the winter with snow tires? No way. Even though a Corvette has an aluminum frame and SMC panels (even the floor panels) they are pretty much not going to rust. Yet most sit for 8 months. They typically go through batteries because the sit so much

You left off…

You get fat and high blood pressure from sitting and watching your car

Your blood pressure meds give you limp member so now you are on the blue pill club list…we all know that’s not Advil

You pull your pants up too high and complain about the government , full time
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

I have had two buses rust out on me and get scrapped, which wasn't a big deal when I could get another body from a west coast wrecker for almost nothing. Today I would rather not have to spend months scrounging for another body that is barely decent enough to use, yet cost a pretty penny.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Living in Ontario, and having had both a Bug and Bus that I used to drive in the winter, I can attest to how quickly they rust away. It's sad, but true.

The Bug was rust free and 6 years old when I bought it. Within 3 years it had extensive rust.

The Bus was rust free and 5 years old when I bought it. It too had a lot of rust within only a few years.

I now have replacements and they are never driven in the winter.

Both are 50 years old, one is all original rust free (Bug), and the Bus is also rust free.

Y'all have fun with your winter use. I use my beaters in winter.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

I'm not daily-ing the thing guys! I'm just saying they don't need to be moth-balled for 6 months a year, haha!

tjrm63 wrote:
Winter camping is the best, especially during a massive snow storm. We camp year round but winter is the best. This was in the Poconos this year.

Hell yeah buddy! Love this!
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Great video Gregg, next time we head up towards Vermont we should get together and camp. We camp at the Somerset Reservoir off of 9 in the National Forest in southern Vermont

Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter shouldn't stop you from using your Bus! Reply with quote

Quote:
I never understand that. Most get too old to drive or die and then the family needs to unload it.

That's what I'm saying. Use them, have fun and then die. Or, don't use them, have no fun and still die.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: