Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 autostick beetle reapair progress
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Hay all. I received this basket case of a beetle from a friend with overambitious goals that never came to be. He took this car and ripped it apart to lower it and the car sat for a few years until I picked it up. Made some great progress until I hit a wall with waiting on patch panels for the body. at least I was able to get the pan into rolling shape. I was on the fence with replacing the autostick but seeing as I witnessed this car running before it was "parked" I figured I would give it a shot on just getting it going with what it came with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Recently I added in new transaxle seals, rebuilt the servo that was rebuilt before. I think it was damaged when I moved the parts around. While digging into this bug more I find some things done right to it and some things done wrong. I see The carb and distributor for instance isn't what came with this originally. I have a Brazilian made solex H30/31PICT. I don't have the vacuum advance distributor either. My friend didn't have may issues with the car, but to what some say is running proper others know it isn't 100%. I get conflicting info on if the carb I have will work and what carb distributor combo I should have. Might have to reread some threads but maybe someone will shine some light on what to look for. Hopefully I can sort that and put new seals in the oil pump then I can at least bench test the engine as I wait for patch panels for the body.

boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Nice work so far!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Looks good-

the original distributor/ carb combo that would have come on a 1970 autostick would be:

Distributor: 113-905-205 AD or AE (both are allegedly DVDA distributors-- there is some debate about that but I know that all the ones I have ever seen are including the one I am using right now-- with the same advance curves)

Carb: Solex 30 PICT-3 (I have used an H30/31 before on mine, it is a 69 but the engine is a 1600 SP that would have come on a 1970, so I use 1970 parts.) Currently I am using the correct 30 PICT-3, but the H30/31 will run OK if you connect the vacuum advance line to the lower right rear angled port on the H30/31 (provides the same signal as the standard left-side vacuum port on the 30 PICT-3.)

Some good carb info in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

That 009 will work on there but you will be beter running getting a vacuum advance distributor to match it. You'll need to decide on your engine size and carburetor. From there you can pick a distributor.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replys! Will at least get me a distributor that will work with properly with the car. Will see about getting both a carb and distributor. I probably will end up getting both. Just installed the shift shaft today. One thing I almost forgot after I assbled everything was I got a proper shift shaft from on the forum because mine is missing. The joys of getting a vehicle in pieces. The replacement I recived has a spring on it that I cant seem to figure out its location. I know it came on the end of the shaft by where the transaxle sits. Is this to keep it in reverse or is it not needed on a 70 but maybe a 68 beetle only?
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

And here is what I got to without the peice. Looks proper but doesnt mean it is. My chiltons manual is informative in the autostick section, but seems to lack all the info I need

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

basketcasebeetle wrote:
The replacement I recived has a spring on it that I cant seem to figure out its location. I know it came on the end of the shaft by where the transaxle sits. Is this to keep it in reverse or is it not needed on a 70 but maybe a 68 beetle only?

The spring in the autostick couplers is meant to hold the shift lever slightly to the passenger side, simply because in an autostick, the only two gears you pretty much ever use are Drive 1 and Drive 2, both toward the passenger side, so it's a smoother shift between them. It probably also helps with the contact points in the base of the shifter staying properly adjusted in relation to each other. The spring in the autostick coupler is a vertical spring, it connects to the coupler pin at the top, and to a raised tab on the bottom of the shifter tunnel at the bottom. I've had that spring off mine before and you can still shift but man is it sloppy.

1600 SP engine
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Is there a loop in the tunnel on the pan to connect the spring? Or do i just hook it somewhere in the back? I will pull it apart and hook it up.

Sorry just re read your comment at the bottom of the tunnel! will check it out today.
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Finally back at it. Found the spring hole in the tunnel. Posting for other folks to see. The only thing Im confused with is sb001 is the spring hole is on the drivers side of the tunnel.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

basketcasebeetle wrote:
The only thing Im confused with is sb001 is the spring hole is on the drivers side of the tunnel.

Yes that's correct. It holds the back side of the shift rod toward the drivers side, which in turn moves the front end of the shift rod toward the passenger side a bit.

1600 SP engine
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Percect thanks for the info! Just happy to post some autostick info for others to view. I know its been talked about before but to have pictures and all is nice. Will post more porgress especially after I either continue metal work on the body and mounting the engine plus putting new seals on the oil pumps. Thanks again for the info sb001!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo- I don't think there was a single one on the samba showing that spring installed (none that I could find...)

1600 SP engine
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Mounted the engine last week so I have some sort of stand to work with. started to pull the dog house out to make sure it didn't become a mouse motel. I found oil pooling up under the alternator kit mount. Not sure if it has a breather up there or what. Going to check everything over with this block and at a bare minimum beside a tune up replace the seals on this thing. Also have the oil pump seal kit ready to install once the rest of the tins come off.

basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

I would like to thank Tim from Volksbits for connecting me to Bill from spak works for getting me this clean rebuilt distributor. This thing is well rebuilt and so clean. Sorry Tim for chatting you up for parts you didnt have but your the best for this connection.

As for engine work started to pulk the tins off. Finding oil was spraying from the fill neck connected to the aftermarket alternator stand.

Two things I am thinking of doing. Replacing some oil seals while I rebuild the oil pump. I bought the kit from evwparts. Was thinkimg main seals and possibly oil cooler seals. The cooler doesnt look all coated in oil though. Was also debating if its worth doing the puch rod seals. Will see once I pull the bottom tins. Might get a dog house that does'nt have heating tubes and delete the heater boxes. As for body work almost have one heater channel in. Slowly getting there and I like the progress.

As for my carb situation I am going to rebuild my Brosol carb since it two will work and having spare parts is nice. The carb is in good shape to begin with. I also will take a stab at converting and rebuilding the 30 pict 3 I bought. It is in rebuildable shape just a manual car carb. Been trying to find the info on how to drill the vaccum bung to make in autostick spec. It sucks I didnt get this car in one piece, but I do have to say for a car I had to put back to gether after last seeing it drive under its own power 3 to 4 years ago its been a rewarding journey. Happy my friend hit me up to save it from its project grave.
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

Not sure if this is missing the one brass bung that goes next to the un drilled vacuum port. Also Unsure if this lower port is going to be used for vacuum signal for the distributor or just capped off.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

The vacuum port with the missing tube would be for vacuum to the Autostick control valve.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
basketcasebeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

So that would be the port I drill out I'm assuming? Then use the base vacuum tube and the tube on the other side of the car for my distributor signals? This shouldn't be too complicated then. Going to rebuild the 30 pict 3 and the h30/31. Can't go wrong with spare parts.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

basketcasebeetle wrote:
Not sure if this is missing the one brass bung that goes next to the un drilled vacuum port. Also Unsure if this lower port is going to be used for vacuum signal for the distributor or just capped off.

Yes the rear-facing hole would be the bung for the autostick control valve. Is it open all the way into the venturi?? (That would be strange if it was, since it's an SVA matching carburetor for use with a 4 speed manual, not an autostick-- so a bung there would serve no purpose.)
However I notice this 30 PICT-3 has both a left side port (which would have been for the SVA-- NOT SVDA!!-- distributor that would have been on a 70 manual car, as well as a lower angled port that autostick owners have had success using for their SVDA distributors. So you might not have to modify anthing.
Since you now have the proper SVDA distributor for your autostick, try connecting the vacuum advance line from the distributor to that lower angled bung, and use the left side bung to connect the vacuum line over to the autostick control valve. See if that works.
Is that rear facing hole blocked further inside? If not, you'd either need to find some way to block it off if what I suggested above works--or, if it is open all the way into the carb's venturi, and you can find the correct size brass tube to insert into it, you can use THAT for the autostick and cap off the left side port.
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the left side vacuum advance port on the SVA-matching carbs like what you have would work correctly with the SVDA distributors- I think the plumbing is different, which is why I am saying use THAT port for the autostick control valve and the lower angled port for the distributor vacuum advance.

1600 SP engine
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 autostick beetle reapair progress Reply with quote

basketcasebeetle wrote:
So that would be the port I drill out I'm assuming? Then use the base vacuum tube and the tube on the other side of the car for my distributor signals? This shouldn't be too complicated then. Going to rebuild the 30 pict 3 and the h30/31. Can't go wrong with spare parts.

When I bought my 68 Ghia AutoStick a year ago, it ran fine. It was mostly all original but its original carb had been replaced with a generic H30/31. For the sake of originality, I later replaced the carb with a 68 original 30Pict-2 from Volkzbitz and I saw no difference in how the engine performed.

So in my case anyway, the H30/31 is a good alternate for the Autostick.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: