Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

912 with a 1600cc Dual Port Engine
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawsonSkipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: 912 with a 1600cc Dual Port Engine Reply with quote

hey all!

First post as this whole realm is new to me, coming over from BMWs / 2002s / e30s.

Looking to grab my first Porsche. Found a good deal on a 912 with a t1 1600cc dp engine swapped in.

I know before I even get the car I'm going to want some more zing out of that motor, what's my best option?

Mechanically inclined, would prefer to not just buy a crate if I don't need to.

Would like to be above 100hp, 140 max probably, but I would be plenty happy with just 100 give to take a bit. Redline def needs to be bumped up to min. 6500.

Im not looking to drop 5-6k on a crate engine at this time, but if thats the most cost effective route to take, let me know!
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 912 with a 1600cc Dual Port Engine Reply with quote

Welcome! Read through the Performance/Engines/Transmissions forum here. Lots of information there about building high-power VW engines.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 with a 1600cc Dual Port Engine Reply with quote

I just added up what I spent for all the parts for my new 2276.
$6100.00 give or take.
That was with new everything though.
You may get by with a cam, pistons and cylinders some carbs, a little machine work on your case and a clutch though.
A 1915 should get you around 120hp depending on the route you take.
You’ll have to pull the engine apart to determine what is usable.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 with a 1600cc Dual Port Engine Reply with quote

You could put a turbo on it, if the video is still there search "Fusca Turbo accelerando !!!!" (no quotations) in the super beetle forum to see the added power. I think the kit is less than $1000.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 912 with a 1600cc Dual Port Engine Reply with quote

you could purchase a CB performance engine with great hp much cheaper than to find a 912 engine to install

DawsonSkipper wrote:
hey all!

First post as this whole realm is new to me, coming over from BMWs / 2002s / e30s.

Looking to grab my first Porsche. Found a good deal on a 912 with a t1 1600cc dp engine swapped in.

I know before I even get the car I'm going to want some more zing out of that motor, what's my best option?

Mechanically inclined, would prefer to not just buy a crate if I don't need to.

Would like to be above 100hp, 140 max probably, but I would be plenty happy with just 100 give to take a bit. Redline def needs to be bumped up to min. 6500.

Im not looking to drop 5-6k on a crate engine at this time, but if thats the most cost effective route to take, let me know!
ottobevis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 912 with a 1600cc Dual Port Engine Reply with quote

I'm just finishing installing a 2165 (78x94) in my 912. As KPF said there's a wealth of information (under performance engines and transmissions) and some amazingly helpful people here. Engine choice is a personal thing and depends on budget and how you intend to use the car among other things. The only advise I can offer is the following.

Assuming you have stock gear ratios and tire diameter your RPM will be about 3,700 at 70mph (from memory) in 4th (if a 4 speed) or 5th (if a 5 speed). Assuming you want to cruise at highway speeds it's advisable to have engine that makes peak torque close to this RPM (maybe a bit before). I would look at graphs showing RPM vs 912 gear ratios and decide where you want the power band to be. In general you want an engine that can reach atleast 6,000 rpm for 912 gearing. More means higher top speed but it's a tradeoff with low end torque and long term wear on the case, valve train etc. Another thing to consider is if you need or use an external oil cooler your custom rear engine support maybe in the way of the oil lines. I spent a long time making my rear engine support and the space and access to the oil lines is extremely tight. If you use a deep sump ground clearance will be reduced. From memory there is 5" without a deep sump. An Accusump or drysump is an alternative.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: