Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Porsche 911 T suspension upgrade options
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaredlgoldman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: 1973 Porsche 911 T suspension upgrade options Reply with quote

I have a 1973 911 T that I am starting a restoration on. The car is stripped down to the shell and getting sandblasted as we speak

I want to upgrade the suspension to make it a better driving car. This will be a daily driver, no track days for now but I want it to perform well.

I am NOT doing a factory restoration, seeing that I don't have the original motor or trans.

My question for all of you experts out there, I am looking at three options

Option 1:
Stick with the current set, replace bushings, rebuild struts, clean up all the arms, etc. Keep the torsion bars front and back, keep sway bar

Option 2
Keep the control and trailing arms, add Turbo tie rod ends and change out to a coil over set up for shocks, keep sway bar and torsion bars

Option 3
Go all new on the suspension, 935 subframe with new control arms, coil over shocks, re-enforced shock towers, upgrade sway bar, etc. Get rid of torsion bars front and back

I want to add bigger breaks, 3.5" brackets. They will not fit on the stock 73' spindles.

I have been told I can upgrade to new components but am getting mixed opinions. Any assistance would be appreciated
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 911 T suspension upgrade options Reply with quote

the suspension is perfectly good as is if everything is up to par. Check the shocks lubricate the a arm bushings check the tie rods and ball joints and you will be all set, (also replace the rubber brake flex lines and repack the wheel bearings. The car has a GREAT front end on it, no reason to change it
Dane Tyler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 911 T suspension upgrade options Reply with quote

I vote Option 1 with the addition of Turbo tie rods.

Torsion bars are fine. They work well here.

The Turbo tie rod ends are a worthwhile upgrade.

Elephant Racing makes excellent replacement suspension bushings. I would highly recommend.

This is how I setup my 75 911S, along with new Koni struts and shocks and lowering to Euro height. I only went with Koni because the originals were Koni. I typically prefer Bilstein.

Good luck.

jaredlgoldman wrote:
I have a 1973 911 T that I am starting a restoration on. The car is stripped down to the shell and getting sandblasted as we speak

I want to upgrade the suspension to make it a better driving car. This will be a daily driver, no track days for now but I want it to perform well.

I am NOT doing a factory restoration, seeing that I don't have the original motor or trans.

My question for all of you experts out there, I am looking at three options

Option 1:
Stick with the current set, replace bushings, rebuild struts, clean up all the arms, etc. Keep the torsion bars front and back, keep sway bar

Option 2
Keep the control and trailing arms, add Turbo tie rod ends and change out to a coil over set up for shocks, keep sway bar and torsion bars

Option 3
Go all new on the suspension, 935 subframe with new control arms, coil over shocks, re-enforced shock towers, upgrade sway bar, etc. Get rid of torsion bars front and back

I want to add bigger breaks, 3.5" brackets. They will not fit on the stock 73' spindles.

I have been told I can upgrade to new components but am getting mixed opinions. Any assistance would be appreciated
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 911 T suspension upgrade options Reply with quote

There is WAY more information on these types of topics over on Pelican Parts.

You'll get way more engagement from those folks on this topic:
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: