Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

copper to steel - weld, braze, solder, epoxy?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: copper to steel - weld, braze, solder, epoxy? Reply with quote

I have a copper bracket I need to attach to a steel panel (bus project, natch), and was curious what was best given the limitations - mainly, not having a welder or an oxy torch.

No screws or bolts, though.

So short of taking it to a shop who has the right equipment (and 125 of my dollars for 10 minutes of work), what's my best option? This particular part does not have to conduct electricity, so the correct adhesive might be fine. I may also end up attaching copper grounding tabs to the body in a few places, so knowing whether I can solder or braze those would be great. The internet is not helpful on whether you can successfully braze with MAP Pro, but seems doubtful...
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: copper to steel - weld, braze, solder, epoxy? Reply with quote

And the answer was: panel glue. The local hot rod shop looked at it, didn’t think resistance welding would work with copper and brazing would warp the panel… so they suggested they try panel adhesive. Apply, clamp, heat gun, cure overnight; should last for 50 years or more. As they had a 60 bus getting a nose job and a Type 34 getting.. everything, in addition to muscle cars, I trust their advice. Also, $25.00.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: copper to steel - weld, braze, solder, epoxy? Reply with quote

Sorry I got to this too late. I have come to depend a lot on panel adhesive. I know that newer vehicles, even John Deere tractors are being assembled with glues in non-structural areas. I used it to glue door skins on my 68 bug, and a lot of other places. Went through countless tubes of the 3M material. There are actually several different types, you need to read the technical sheet to see which one is right for your job.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: copper to steel - weld, braze, solder, epoxy? Reply with quote

I probably would have soldered it. brazing would have been sketchy (too hot) with the copper. panel glue is fine plus no paint to fix
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: