Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice needed on upper A pillar rust
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

I haven't done any body work before but I'm willing to take the time and effort if it makes sense. I have some rust bubbling up on the passenger A pillar of a 2003 Eurovan. By no surprise, this only happened after getting my windshield replaced a number of years ago using the Safelite home visit.

The advice I'm looking for is if it makes sense to repair this without removing the windshield. In other words, will the rust come back in short order because I'm not getting to the root of the problem? Or, is time, effort, and money better spent pulling the windshield, fixing the rust, and having a new windshield put in (a couple of rock chips in existing windshield)?

Here's what it looks like
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

Rust rarely starts under the paintwork without external damage. I would highly suspect that the rust has started under the windscreen seal and the bubbling you see is the spreading rust from that initial rust.

If it were me I would at least remove the external bubbling rust to see what you have, but expect that the corrosion is much worse under the seal.

I believe that you will need to remove the windscreen and cut out the rust and weld in new steel and treat that area well before putting back the windscreen.

Even rust treating and filling with bog will probably result in the rust returning in a short time.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

Pull the windshield. Let’s see how bad it is.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear since I've never tackled removing a windshield either. I guess there's always a first time. Actually, after googling and reading and watching it doesn't sound that bad. It seems my choices for getting through the urethane using some HF tool are either cutting it out or sawing it out. I'm leaning toward sawing it out unless others have a better idea.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

I had bubbles like that on my Jetta. I pulled the windshield because it was cracked and had to be replaced. There were rust holes under the windshield seal. It was pretty ugly.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

You can have a glass company just remove the glass then come back and reinstall it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

bigfoot_ev wrote:
By no surprise, this only happened after getting my windshield replaced a number of years ago using the Safelite home visit

They likely cut through the paint when removing the old window seal leaving exposed metal to rust. Have the windshield pulled and the area repaired properly. As mentioned, the windshield can be removed without breaking and reused. Hopefully, the rust it only topical and easily removed and/or neutralized and the area can simply be repaired and repainted; not structural. Good luck.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
You can have a glass company just remove the glass then come back and reinstall it.

Great suggestion! I came across this idea when watching a video from a UK fellow fixing his T4, it just never occurred to me. He had his insurance pay for the windshield replacement due to a crack. So, in addition to having help paying for the service of removing and putting in a new screen the windshield replacement company had this fancy tool that cut the urethane while the tech was seated inside the van. The tool just suctioned onto the inside of the windshield. I guess it took just minutes to get it out.

I'm definitely going to call my insurance company. Even if they won't pay for it I think it's worth calling glass companies. Then it's time to start collecting materials. I'm kind of excited. It's weird, I've always been intimidated by body work. In my past I've replaced engines, done major suspension rework, heck I even stripped my van interior and did a custom build but body work....noooo.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

I finally got the windshield removed. I needed one more fall camping trip first. I'm just starting on going after the rust around the windshield. While removing the old adhesive I noticed a crack in the A pillar to roof seam. I dug out the sealer and found rust in the seam. I was able to get to bare metal for what I could reach.

I can't reach all the rust to remove it. What is not clear in this photo is that down in the crack I also see some rust. What would people recommend on how to treat this?

Last edited by bigfoot_ev on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

Ospho!

Get it on and in the crack. Let it run down inside, because you know the water did!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

I like the idea of letting ospho running in and down. My only concern is that I understand I need to neutralize ospho before I apply my primer. That ultimately means washing the area with water or a dawn and water solution. Do I just hit it with a heat gun after that to make sure its nice and dry and not worry about what water may have gotten into the crack? That's hoping the ospho is dry and doing its job inside the crack.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed on upper A pillar rust Reply with quote

bigfoot_ev wrote:
I like the idea of letting ospho running in and down. My only concern is that I understand I need to neutralize ospho before I apply my primer. That ultimately means washing the area with water or a dawn and water solution. Do I just hit it with a heat gun after that to make sure its nice and dry and not worry about what water may have gotten into the crack? That's hoping the ospho is dry and doing its job inside the crack.

Yep. You will be treating more rust than adding to it. I would use a squirt bottle to apply the Ospho. Fine mist and allow the crack to take the product in naturally. That way you limit the chances of creating new spots. You will need to scrap off the flaky rust area at the window flange. Those big surface chunks are hiding the active rust. Then brush on the Ospho over there. You do not need to rinse away Ospho. You can go straight to primer.

Here are the directions.
https://www.ospho.com/directions.htm#:~:text=Merel...er%20paint

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: