Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I’m keeping the 914
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: I’m keeping the 914 Reply with quote

So Thanksgiving I had a lot to be Thankful for. I have a 914 that needs a few things to get on the road. I bought it as a”turn key” driver, but it was dropped off with sticking brakes and an oil leak. It’s been in my garage for years. I periodically started it and ran it until the Weber progressive carb sprung a leak and a mouse chewed the rubber gas line.

For a while, I’ve considered trading it for an older beetle. I talked with a friend about a trade, but I kept going back and forth. I love beetles. But I know this 914 would be great if I can find the time to finish it.

I was talking to my wife about the difficulty of making a decision on whether to keep it or trade. I just got a promotion at work and maybe my wife was still happy about it, but she suggested that maybe I could fix the Porsche now and after cleaning up the garage, tearing down a tree, and putting up some kind of simple shelter I could ALSO get a beetle.

WTF?!!!

Maybe you guys with wives living in militant HOAs will understand, but this was completely shocking. She can still surprise me now and then.

So the Porsche will be my hot rod. And the beetle will be a stock 36HP wonder. That’s the new plan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: I’m keeping the 914 Reply with quote

good move! Two completely different cars. Girls have always liked the 914. Many many bought them when new as they were easy to drive and came in bright colors and got great fuel mileage
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I’m keeping the 914 Reply with quote

Ha. That’s awesome Steve! Funny how things work out like that. Gotta love a good wife that knows what’s good for our soul. We had to sell our 60 ragtop to cash flow our Porsche purchase. And as dr914 states, two totally different cars, but both bring the smiles.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: I’m keeping the 914 Reply with quote

Steve,

Having a 914 for your sporty car and a Bug for the driver is a great combo! It's what I have.

- Dan

Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: I’m keeping the 914 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
good move! Two completely different cars. Girls have always liked the 914. Many many bought them when new as they were easy to drive and came in bright colors and got great fuel mileage

Yep, girls like the 914 So much that some 'influencers' in the sportscar community labled the 914 as a 'Chick-car'. That was a great disservice to a wonderful, innovative design like the 914, but as things turned out, back in the 70s, a disproportionate number of females bought the 914-4 (whereas most guys tended to prefer the guttsier 911 and 914-6). The same nuance affects purchasers of the British Mini today (far more 'chicks' than 'studs' buy the Mini).

Of course anyone who evaluates a sportscar strictly on an objective appraisal of its overall performance and handling traits would scorn such snarky, negative assessments...since by all reasonable objective criteria, the overall 914 design is a winner, hands-down.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: I’m keeping the 914 Reply with quote

PS: I too have both a 914-4 and a Bug (orange '73 Beetle and a yellow '74 914) and I love 'em both dearly! Anyone who truly is a student of VW history would almost be compelled to own both iterations of Herr Doktor Professor's air-cooled genius, IMHO! [I've had perhaps 9 different VWs of all types, including the 412, several Type-2s, a Type 182 ('Thing'), 4 other 914-4s and a magnificent 914-6!] Loved 'em all!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: