Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some Vintage speed questions
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a 65 bug. Unfortunatley the person I purchased from didn't know much about the motor. So asking a few questions here please.

It's numbers matching, so was a stock 1200 at some point.

It's running a 010 distributor, has a nicely engineerd dual carb set up by Reichert engineering. I think this is a German company, but they no longer have a website. Anyhow I think it's dual Solex 28's, custom manifold, with a balance pipe. The linkage seem to be very well made. Heads are stock for the year I think.

I checked valves, set timing to 32 at full advance, synched the carbs.

It runs quite nice, seems similar in power to my 1500, just has a little stumble on light to moderate throttle. Driveability is OK but it's a little go- dont go compared to say a stock 1500 that I was used to. I assume this is as the 010 doesn't have vaccum advance, so was thinking of trying to change to a SVDA, but not sure if I will be able to get a good vaccum signal from the carbs?

Also it has a non stock exhaust, no idea if it's any good, but it sounds great. I've attached a few pics.

So my questions if anyone can help are:

Other than pulling heads anyway to tell if I have bigger pistons?

With the Dual solex's would I get a good vaccum signal from them and if should I just get a SVDA?

Anyone recongnise the exhaust. It has a small pipe running from the exhaust port to the main exhaust body, no idea what that is for?

Thanks, Jake

Engine Bay
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Exhaust

Wierd Tube from Exhaust port to Exhaust body (Circled in red)

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Tube id the heat riser for the stock manifold. You need to plug it when running dual carbs

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

These 👇👇👇
https://www.jbugs.com/product/3447.html
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Riechert are still around but under different ownership from Berndt - see link-

https://riechert-motorentechnik.de/

I also think you have 32's as opposed to the 28 PCI you mentioned .

I am running the Riechert dual carb 28 PCI with a 010 on the 30hp fixed pedestal motor - with decent tuning it runs really well.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Tube id the heat riser for the stock manifold. You need to plug it when running dual carbs

Thanks Glenn, I think that is maybe what is was but it now goes from the Exhaust port to the centre section of the exhaust, I guess it was done that way rather than running to a heat riser since it doesn't have them. Thanks.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:

I am running the Riechert dual carb 28 PCI with a 010 on the 30hp fixed pedestal motor - with decent tuning it runs really well.

Ah super, thanks for the link. I'm impressed by how well they run, for a 1200 it's amazing.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:

Out of interest, how do you clean the air filters? They seem to be full of a sort of matting. No idea how to clean them. Sticker says clean every 500 miles.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

To clean those filters use hot water ,baking soda and liquid soap you can even add some vinegar to the mix let them soak for a bit. Rinse with water and blow them with air let them completely dry and put them back on but remember to make sure they are dry ....
exotic plants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Its been my experience that the cylinder fin spacing is closer together on 83's. If you have a 77 cylinder to compair with.
Rear driver side fender.
Cash waiting.
------------------------------------------------------------
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Pretty sure that’s a stock 40hp exhaust. That funny oval shape is sometimes linked to the “bastard” engine, but I believe it fits all 40hp. See if you can get a picture of the part number.

You definitely need the heat riser block offs, otherwise you are dumping lots of exhaust into your engine compartment.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
To clean those filters use hot water ,baking soda and liquid soap you can even add some vinegar to the mix let them soak for a bit. Rinse with water and blow them with air let them completely dry and put them back on but remember to make sure they are dry ....

Thanks I'll give that a try.
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Some Vintage speed questions Reply with quote

Quote:

Out of interest, how do you clean the air filters? They seem to be full of a sort of matting. No idea how to clean them. Sticker says clean every 500 miles.

I use Carb cleaner - spray through until clear - dry with compressed air before re-fitting - avoiding contact with the surface paint.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: