Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson 40 horse super charger on a 67 stock 1600 single port
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Judson 40 horse super charger on a 67 stock 1600 single port Reply with quote

Been staring at my 67 GTV it has the original 1600 singleport in it I guess my questions are as follows:

1) what are the internal differences between a stock 40 horse motor compared
to a 1967 1600 single port

2) can the 40 horse judson super charger be bolted on and used on my 1600
Singleport motor without any modifications as I don't see any reason why
I couldn't just bolt it on

3) would adding it on be a plus as far as having very little horse power added
To my stock 1600 singleport motor as I honestly just want the "cool look"
Without ruining the judson super charger or my motor

4) if there are any internal issues where I would need to change any internal
Parts what would they be

I tried a search came up with nothing so any and all information is appreciated
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson 40 horse super charger on a 67 stock 1600 single port Reply with quote

The main differences are the increase displacement fro 1200- 1500/1600cc because of the stroke increase from 64mm (weaker crank) to 69mm and a better head design. 77mm vs 83mm 85.5mm pistons.

the short answer is that you will not really gain any hp with the judson on a 1600. being a centifugal type blower, it increases boost as only as rpm increase, so the power gains are in the 3k+ range in the 40hp engine.

the compressor volume it puts out is not enough to see any real Boost on a 1600 as it is 30% larger and the heads are more efficient. All you will really doing is pumping a lot of extra heat into the engine at cruising rpm (which the judson aldready does enough of on the 40hp). to see any potential gains, you would have to overdrive it, but then your really taxing the judson, and really just creating more heat/ detonation problems than any butt dyno gains.

Put the judson on a 40hp engine, and then find a Shorrock supercharger for your GTV, Its Rare, period correct, cool and more functional on a 1500cc than a 40hp Judson. My .02
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson 40 horse super charger on a 67 stock 1600 single port Reply with quote

THANKYOU fritz for all that great information and advice I will do exactly what you suggest and get me a 40 horse to build. As for the shorrock I do have one and will consider using that Wink
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson 40 horse super charger on a 67 stock 1600 single port Reply with quote

You would over drive a judson on a big 1600cc it's been done before in the past judson work best for 1300cc and smaller engines ....I've seen a couple builds done to 1600cc judsons owners said you couldn't tell the difference in power but not long after they needed the judson rebuild do to them over revving the judson since the bigger 1600cc need more air the judson is a Restricter on bigger builds ... I remember a guy took his vw 36hp to get dyno and he had his stock 36hp dyno and than right there and than in the parking lot he than installed the judson and had it dyno the judson made less hp ......it was a bigg wow what ??? How can that be but the #s didn't lie .......judson just look cool ....I've always like the wow factor of them ....but I don't like the $$$$ they are to do a build .....to all reach their own if that what you like go for it ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: