Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

Hi all

I just got a WW "Okrasa" kit as a gift for my Oval. Nice gift, sure !

I have dilemma... I don't know how much to upgrade the engine. I would like to have your opinion on the best cost/effectiveness compromises of the different configurations below

1 - WW kit only on the stock 36HP

2 - WW kit + big bore cylinders/pistons (1300cc)

3 - WW kit + 69,5 crank (1300cc)

4 - WW kit + 69,5 crank + big bore cylinders pistons (1400cc)

5 - WW kit + 69,5 + big bore + High Performance Camshaft

I don't want to explore 74mm configurations ... I do not need a racing Oval.

At first glance, my choice would a priori go to configuration #2...
looking forward to reading your analysis. And arguments
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

I would look into a stroker crank and custom camshaft before big bore cylinders. This will give you opportunity to match the compression ratio to the camshaft, and have something that is optimal for the cc's. In stock form, the 36hp is pretty low compression, 6.6:1. Just slapping nice heads and larger cylinders on doesn't address that.
Options besides the Wolfsburg West for cams are Elgin, Isky, Schneider, and Webcam, and you probably have other options in Europe.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

Did you get a "top end" WW kit?
Wrt more displacement. Definitely yes.The Okrasa heads barely functions well at the Okrasa 1286 displacement. Another 100 cc along with a proper valve job makes wonders.
Cam or not sort of depends on the carburetion and exhaust.
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Did you get a "top end" WW kit?

The heads, carbs, air filters, linkage, manifolds and fuel lines ...
No crank
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

I would go with 4 or 5 options......why not take the advantage of the more power ...
philoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

I am reluctant for a strong preparation because of the structure and properties of the 36HP case

The Okrasa kits at the time did not go beyond 1300cc, Porsche abandoned this case for powers beyond 55hp...
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

Well built 36 hp based engines easily handles 80-90 hp. We build 15-1600īs regularly which pull that kind of power with no issues. Hans biesmann is currently building a 120ish1700 cc. Here you can talk about things getting complicated. Semi full circle crank, slim rods, reduced base circle cam, improved lubrication etc etc.
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which stage for an Okrasa (WW) project Reply with quote

I have been running my Big Bore Okrasa 15xxcc for nearly 20 years with no issues still runs great. Now I am not putting a ton of miles on it, and I am not abusing the engine. At this rate should get another 20
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: