Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rayers13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Hello,

I am in need of some help/advice regarding the Wheel/tire combination on the Dune Buggy I purchased late last year.

I like the current Wheel setup on the Buggy, but the front wheels having motorcycle style tires on them seems like a poor choice for an all street setup. The current tires are
130/90-15 just for reference.

My question is am I able to put "car" tire onto these rims? or is it possible that the rims are to narrow to support such a Wheel. Is there any benefit/reason that motorcycle tires would have been used on the fronts?

I appreciate any help on the subject. Unfortunatley, some local shops near me were not able to shed any light on the subject. Pictures below are of the wheels/tires in question.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy Reply with quote

[quote="Rayers13"]Hello,

I am in need of some help/advice regarding the Wheel/tire combination on the Dune Buggy I purchased late last year.

I like the current Wheel setup on the Buggy, but the front wheels having motorcycle style tires on them seems like a poor choice for an all street setup. The current tires are
130/90-15 just for reference.

My question is am I able to put "car" tire onto these rims? or is it possible that the rims are to narrow to support such a Wheel. Is there any benefit/reason that motorcycle tires would have been used on the fronts?

Hello Rayers13,
The wheels you have will not accept "Car" passenger tires. They were made for motorcycles and that means weight rating plays a factor.
The narrowest passenger tire application is on a 4" wide rim bead.
Contact a Buggy Shop ask what they suggest as those wheels are for Dune Buggies, meaning sand, less friction that rides on top of the surface. They can be street driven but their shape does not perform like a car tire on paved surfaces.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy Reply with quote

135r15 or 145r15 will fit just fine. If anything those motorcycle tires are stretched to fit that rim.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy Reply with quote

What are you going to do with it?

Street only? I assume so, based on the size of those tires.

Those tires are way to small for the dirt.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Those are just steel buggy wheels. They were made for car tires. I absolutely HATE 135s and 145s on the front of buggies. They don't turn and they don't stop.

While they do appear to be skinny. 4" maybe? Yiu ca still fut a decent tire on them. Currently I'm running 185/70/15s on 4 inch Centerlines
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy Reply with quote

All true, but they look cool while skidding past your turn.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rayers13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Wheel/Tires for Dune Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys!

I ended up finding some cheap 155/60r15 and just ordered them to see if they would fit or not.

I had them mounted and balanced today and they fit great ( If possible maybe my next set I would like to go little wider).

This buggy is gonna be street only, hence why I wanted to go with a more "car" style tire.

Thanks again for the recommendations!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: