Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp deck height / compression / cam setup..
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: 36hp deck height / compression / cam setup.. Reply with quote

Ok guys-
hopefully in the next couple days I have all the scraps here to put this back together. I built this engine a couple years ago with 40hp/ 83mm big bore kit and it has run fantastic- almost 8k miles. BUT, it was just an experiment that I knew I didn't intend on leaving as-is forever. So I re-thunk the final build I wanted to have. I'm going down to 80mm p/c's for better cooling and less blow-by.
But give me some opinions on these specs :
64x 80 stock internals.
Original heads just rebuilt w/ 32.5mm intakes
WW Cam
WW 32 PBIC's
*might take 3-4lbs off the flywheel.

So, the 80mm p/c's end up with slightly less deck than the 83's.
I'm getting .025" deck height , ~ 46-47cc volume in the heads.

That deck is pretty tight- but? Can I get away with it on a 36hp @ 7.5:1 with the cam and intake specs ? Compression is fairly conservative, I had it @ 8.4:1 with the 83mm pistons/ stock valves and never had any issues.

And even if I can get away with it- how much is a flycut on the heads going to get me if I shim the deck to .040 and bump the CR up?
With what I have- what would you do?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oh yeah, and I had this wacky idea I may try on a spare exhaust.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp deck height / compression / cam setup.. Reply with quote

I have spoken to many 36hp enthusiasts, and they have all generally said the same thing, which is to not be afraid of raising the compression. On my zwitter engine, the heads are cut a little more than 2mm which gave just over 8:1 (stock stroke and bore). Alstrup understands the cam-compression relationship very well, as he has built so many of these engines. I'd wait for him to comment
Shaving the heads on a stock engine does create a few obstacles: intake and exhaust will need to be narrowed, and pushrods shortened. It's just time if you can do the work yourself.
*edit* I see the dual carbs, so nix the intake narrowing.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp deck height / compression / cam setup.. Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't even be bringing it up- except there isn't a single machine shop within 130 miles that can flycut a head.
So I am kind of screwed.

I do have a place I can get another set of heads already done- to the specs I want, but it's another $700.
As it sits with the .025" deck and 46cc chambers I'll be running 7.5:1. So, ...what am I missing out on with this fairly conservative setup?
3-4hp? maybe FIVE! I"ll admit it's a large difference in this case.

Just had a big huge flood mess in my basement yesterday so doesn't look like the $700 for better heads is in the budget. So Maybe I'll just run it like this for the summer and revisit it next winter if I feel like it's worth it.

Good news is I found a running 36hp locally for $250 and the guy is dropping it off in a few minutes. Why! Yay! Because .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp deck height / compression / cam setup.. Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
I probably wouldn't even be bringing it up- except there isn't a single machine shop within 130 miles that can flycut a head.
So I am kind of screwed.

I do have a place I can get another set of heads already done- to the specs I want, but it's another $700.
As it sits with the .025" deck and 46cc chambers I'll be running 7.5:1. So, ...what am I missing out on with this fairly conservative setup?

Just had a big huge flood mess in my basement yesterday so doesn't look like the $700 for better heads is in the budget. So Maybe I'll just run it like this for the summer and revisit it next winter if I feel like it's worth it.

Good news is I found a running 36hp locally for $250 and the guy is dropping it off in a few minutes. Why! Yay! Because .

My old machinist called it quits recently. It’s getting harder and harder to find anyone to do anything outside of boring 1600 based stuff and even that, finding competent shops is near impossible.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp deck height / compression / cam setup.. Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Bub wrote:
So I am kind of screwed.

My old machinist called it quits recently. It’s getting harder and harder to find anyone to do anything outside of boring 1600 based stuff and even that, finding competent shops is near impossible.

I didn't want to learn to machine cases, but I tired of sending them on a thousand mile round trip, so I bought a Bridgeport and 36hp line bore set up. Now I'm in the same situation with a bunch of 36hp heads.... and about to purchase some seat cutters and valve guide hones. 25 years from now I'll be the "old guy that doesn't do them any more".
It sucks, but for me it's the only economical way to keep working on these things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: