Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 356 /550 conversion
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

So today I was on YouTube and saw a video of a porsche 356 that was converted to a porsche 550 it looks good could use some improvements but I don't think its bad ...has anybody seen this car or know more details ....what are your guys thoughts about it ????
Here the video it's in spanish ....👇👇👇
https://youtu.be/rPA8aW54vVQ?si=oggP97NpStqfK-lc
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

I don't speak Spanish but they are totally different cars! A 356 (and nearly all air cooled replicas) has a rear engine with the transaxle in front of it, A 550 Spyder has the engine in front of the transaxle (so requires a flipped R&P). Frames/chassis is totally different too.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
I don't speak Spanish but they are totally different cars! A 356 (and nearly all air cooled replicas) has a rear engine with the transaxle in front of it, A 550 Spyder has the engine in front of the transaxle (so requires a flipped R&P). Frames/chassis is totally different too.

Yes I know that ...the front end of that / this 356/550 is a 356c roadster and rear end of a 550 most likely made in fiberglass...but at the end of the day it's still a porsche not a Replica 356 or a replica 550 since most of it was build on a real 356c ....
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

That's not 356 converted to a 550.
I don't know what is under the body, but the front wheels show an adapter to use the VW/Porsche wide 5 lug wheels bolted to 4 lug hubs. A 356 wouldn't need the adapter. Engine and transaxle are VW. It DOES have a 356 combo gauge on the dash, but that's the only genuine 356 part I see on the car. The air inlets on the front don't look like other 550 replicas I've seen, but they aren't anything like a T6 Porsche either. I suspect it's just a 550 kit car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

The guy on the video also said its not replica but a tribute built by the orginal owner and also claims when he shows the engine compartment that the orginal 356 engine and trans were sent to get rebuild in the u.s and if purchased comes with the car ...yes I seen the brakes they look vw but those could be changed ....he claiming it's a real 356 coverted on the video he also has a video in which he has a Replica 356 speedster and in that one he says how that speedster replica is a replica ...im just wondering if it's true or not ... also the front air scoop on this 356/550 if it's is or was a 356 front end could of been modified ....im just going by what he saying on the video..
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The guy on the video also said its not replica but a tribute built by the orginal owner and also claims when he shows the engine compartment that the orginal 356 engine and trans were sent to get rebuild in the u.s and if purchased comes with the car ...yes I seen the brakes they look vw but those could be changed ....he claiming it's a real 356 coverted on the video he also has a video in which he has a Replica 356 speedster and in that one he says how that speedster replica is a replica ...im just wondering if it's true or not ... also the front air scoop on this 356/550 if it's is or was a 356 front end could of been modified ....im just going by what he saying on the video..

Looks and sounds like any other 550 Spyder replica kit car, painted as a James Dean tribute theme, with a T1 vw engine, like so many others have. Look at the oil cooler at the fan shroud inlet, wheel adapters... But this one is being marketed by a used car salesman in Mexico. One who doesn't know anymore about 550 or 356 Porsche's than my neighbor's 12 year old. But hey, I could be wrong, if you're really interested, ask for a picture of the underside and the vin tag. I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd see chopper gun fiberglass weave and a sticker, or no vin tag at all
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Looks and sounds like any other 550 Spyder replica kit car, painted as a James Dean tribute theme, with a T1 vw engine, like so many others have. Look at the oil cooler at the fan shroud inlet, wheel adapters... But this one is being marketed by a used car salesman in Mexico. One who doesn't know anymore about 550 or 356 Porsche's than my neighbor's 12 year old. But hey, I could be wrong, if you're really interested, ask for a picture of the underside and the vin tag. I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd see chopper gun fiberglass weave and a sticker, or no vin tag at all

I'm not interested in purchasing it ..was just trying to see if anybody knows info about it ...like I said yes I see all the vw parts ...guy on video was claiming that the porsche 356 engine and trans comes/ goes with the car is purchased but they were sent out to the u.s for rebuild... so its a story in which it could be true but than maybe just a 550 replica but all the replicas tend to have the early 550 design this 356/550 " which i am Naming it" seems to have a different front end which to me it does look to be a porsche 356 c or sc front end shape but who knows the truth till its exposed with the info could just be a replica or a real 356 coverted to a 550 design....I can tell the rear end is fiberglass that's no lie even the doors are fiberglass... I'm just curious if the whole this is as well ....
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 /550 conversion Reply with quote

Jerry, I stumbled across a decent top level view of replica vs the real deal YouTube:

https://youtu.be/ld4C8eTXAzY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: