Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS Speedo with Trip meter
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Hi again,

I may have also found a Speedo part number 411 957 031B.

Can somebody please confirm that this will fit my 1969 RHD 411?

Thanks again

Cheers
Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

lateral wrote:
Hi again,

I may have also found a Speedo part number 411 957 031B.

Can somebody please confirm that this will fit my 1969 RHD 411?

Thanks again

Cheers
Greg

According to my parts list...there were 13 diferent speedometers listed across the range and thats not including 74 and later.

The 031B says it was used FROM chassis # 413 2000 001. It does say with trip meter and its only stipulation is M-25 which simply meand speedometer with trip recorder.

The thing about all of thes speedos is that all of them will fit in any model. Same size.

However, on 411 vs early 412 and later 412 they used a different number font. So, take a look at your clock and make sure they match.

Tell us your chassis # and I can tell you which part # should have been in there. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Thanks Ray

I’ll do this first thing tomorrow morning.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Here are some documents for you:

Ghia:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 4:

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

My chassis number is: 429040130.

Cheers
Greg
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

As other have written the speedos from all years are the same size but the font differs (and also speed range and surround color on 412 cars) but the 69 speedo dial also sits much closer to the front glass than the 70- on speedo so mixing those two would look a bit crazy as the clock gauge has the same design.
69 speedo on this photo:

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
As other have written the speedos from all years are the same size but the font differs (and also speed range and surround color on 412 cars) but the 69 speedo dial also sits much closer to the front glass than the 70- on speedo so mixing those two would look a bit crazy as the clock gauge has the same design.
69 speedo on this photo:

Lars S

Very good points Lars!

I have about 8 speedos ranging from about 1970 to 1974. There are differences, some subtle and some not.

Its also worth it to remember that late Ghia used a type 4 speedo but I am not sure if there were any Ghia specific details. I know that those I have seen all looked to be 1972-1973-ish 411/412 speedos and the clock did not have the late quartz clock.

Here is an example for sale. its part # is 411 957 033D...which does not appear on my parts list. My list stops at 411 957 033C so this would probably be from a 1974.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266469849237?chn=ps&_...zsQAvD_BwE

To the poster....are you missing your speedo? If not, can you take a picture of both your existing speedo and clock and post them?

Ray
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

No, I'm not missing my speedo.

It's just that this one came up and I'm always looking for spares for my 411.

Here is a photo of my existing speedo and other gauge. My car does not have a clock....

These are photos of the speedo for sale:

The fonts are different and the speedo for sale looks like it has been opened up at some stage as the screws at the back are missing...

Cheers
Greg
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

lateral wrote:
Hi Ray,

No, I'm not missing my speedo.

It's just that this one came up and I'm always looking for spares for my 411.

Here is a photo of my existing speedo and other gauge. My car does not have a clock....

These are photos of the speedo for sale:

The fonts are different and the speedo for sale looks like it has been opened up at some stage as the screws at the back are missing...

Cheers
Greg

WOW!....WOW!

I have probably seen more type 4 parts than most people here...and I have never seen those!

OK..obviously RHD...but that is not what I am speaking of.

Your "right hand" instrument in the US is normally a clock. The fuel gauge is also normally on the "clock"...so that much of what you have is not so different. But.....the other symbols on your left hand instrument...turn signals, generaotr light and high beams...are normally on the speedometer in the US and many other placers.

Next....the red mark on your speedo....I am assuming your speedo is in KPH....is at 50 kph? So that is at 31 mph? Not sure what and why. I am assuming that is for minimum shift point for the automatic?

Oh...quick question....is your car manual or automatic?

Very unique instrument set here in the US. Also, the font is the tall early one used by early 411 here. and your instruments are closer to the glass as others have mentioned.

I do not think that the spare you are looking at is going to look anything like what you have.

Love to see the pictures of the rest of it. Ray
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info and my car is manual.

It was originally restored by Simon Glen in the early 1990's and came from Papua New Guinea.

As requested, here are a few photos of the car.

I purchased it in September last year and have been going through it sorting out a few issues and learning about these Type 4's as I have number of VW air cooled cars.

It is truly and thing of beauty!

type4owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

WOW Shocked
V e r y NICE!

sorry for capital letters Laughing
VW Golf MK3 1992
VW KG Typ14 1973 (sold)
VW Typ 82 E 1943 (sold)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

Yes, stunning!

I read somewhere that the 30mph/50kph mark was common in Europe to indicate a typical speed limit in-town.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Speedo with Trip meter Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yes, stunning!

I read somewhere that the 30mph/50kph mark was common in Europe to indicate a typical speed limit in-town.

Ah...cool! Maybe shcool zones in Europe?...wait...ah! You are spot on!

Read the 2nd line in this wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Germany

The excerpt:

Speed limits in Germany (German: Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung) are set by the federal government. All limits are multiples of 10 km/h. There are two default speed limits: 50 km/h (31 mph) inside built-up areas and 100 km/h (62 mph) outside built-up areas.

That should explain the red mark!

Very nice car. Also those very early cars are quite different detail. Your front end had the VW badge on the hpood like the later 412's and did not yet have the large lower VW badge with crhome truim strips like the later 411's.

Also spotted are the rear shoulder belt harnesses that were never used in the US spec 411 and 412...but...if you remove the C-pillar vinyl you will find that the welded in threaded inserts to install them are already there even in US cars.

I also like the treatment you used on the rear deck carpet to go all the way to the glass because you are missing the rare carboard duct fascis back there.

I have one of those sent to me about 10 years ago by a member. It needs a little repair....but is so fragile it can never be used. It is a back burner project. I am going to coat it with urethane, spray on a new pebble texture pattern and then make a mold from it.

I spent a few years thinking about how and what to cast in that mold to make a usable part to provide for people. I finally came across several hard plastic spray on truck bed liners that would make an excellent UV resistant, rigid water proof fascia that should look about 90% like the factory and fit well withut trimming out.

I do not know if the flow through ventilation wotrks better or worse without that cardboard fascia.

It will be such a chore molding that part....that possibly just douing mine the way you have done yours would be fine with me.

One other thing that I have been working on for years that may help everyone. I have been working on fitting a VDO tachometer through the back of the clock unit and reprinting the face so we can have a tachometer. Much as I like the clock...I would take a factory look and functioning tachometer in its place. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: