Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice needed for rust remediation
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Advice needed for rust remediation Reply with quote

I've had my bus for about a dozen years and it was pretty thoroughly refurbished when I bought it. However, I'm starting to see a bit of rust between the underside of the gutter and the body...so just above the windows. It's not everywhere, but I'd like to get ahead of it.
I'm thinking of sanding it and then painting, but also wondering what the best way would be. Maybe use a rust converter? Other?
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for rust remediation Reply with quote

I would sand it and seal it with either Master Series or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Prdmium. Finish paint over that.Good luck

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for rust remediation Reply with quote

My 0.02
Since "dustless blasting" has a huge footprint in TX, maybe you can meet someone for an hour to just do around/at the gutter.
Once that is clean, then you can follow something closely to what the first response you received.
A sealer/converter is mainly a band aid.
If you had stripped/blasted, then you could prime/seal and get the paint back on.
The stripping/rust removal is probably 60% of the job, and getting it alll primed and painted once clean shouldn't be too bad.
But yes, having "one" spot with bubble rust really leaves a downer on the rest of the car. Weird how that works. Hope you get smooth sailing on your fix
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for rust remediation Reply with quote

Naval Jelly and a wire brush. Wire brush the shit out of the rust. Then apply a layer of Naval Jelly as per the directions. Rinse completely with water. Brush and reapply as needed until neutralized!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed for rust remediation Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Naval Jelly and a wire brush. Wire brush the shit out of the rust. Then apply a layer of Naval Jelly as per the directions. Rinse completely with water. Brush and reapply as needed until neutralized!
THIS! or localized blasting if available
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: