Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any tips on adjusting the trunk weatherstrip for no leaks?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:40 am    Post subject: Any tips on adjusting the trunk weatherstrip for no leaks? Reply with quote

I purchased a new trunk seal a year ago from The Thing Shop and installed it, but there was a water leak. I finally got my hand on some really bright LED lights which I put in the trunk with the lights out and could see both across the top of the trunk by the windshield and in front by the front bumper there was light leaking out. The seal from The Thing shop is the knock on seal and has a top rubber flap that is to be pointed outwards.

Any ideas on how to seal this up properly? I have tried moving the seal up a bit to take up the tiny gaps, but it has not worked. Should I try getting a small diameter foam adhesive seal maybe 1/8" thick and install it on the underside of the hood and when closed the Thing Shop seal and the foam may take up the gap.

I am at a loss on how to fix this and get rid of the water leaks.

I have also tried the knock on seal with the circle bulb seal on the top but it pushes the hood up higher than the stock seal due to the extra material in the bulb seal.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on adjusting the trunk weatherstrip for no leaks? Reply with quote

Hey 74 Thing,

I've not had much experience with mucking with this seal but mine did have the end gap at the front of the hood, driving in the rain I'd get some water so I put black tape over the gap to seal that and that fixed that leak...

but as far as the seal being too stiff and pushing the hood up....

Wonder if some weights on the hood like sand bags, for some time would help condition the seal to fit? once it's stayed in place for it bit it should help form it but I'm just spitballin' here.

Of course we don't want to dent anything but a sand bag or cat litter bag is like 40lbs, i'd think a few of them would hold the hood down as long as it don't bend the hood. (test gently?)

You may could remove the front hood latch during this 'weight test' so you can remove the weights and check it easily.

I did re-adjust my hood/windshield frame years back and I believe I had pulled my hood latch to make it easier to check that stuff over and over....

Unknown if you can get a photo or two, but that may help explain too.

Let's see if anyone else reply's - again i'm no pro here just tossin' out a few "first to mind" ideas...

Good luck let us know how it goes,

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on adjusting the trunk weatherstrip for no leaks? Reply with quote

Still fighting this issue.

Any suggestions or alternative seals to try would be appreciated.

I know the problem is the hood as it is slightly bowed in the middle by the washer area causing gaps.

I have tried different foams on top of the Thing Shop seal as well as a bulb top seal, and I hate using painters tape to seal it off when it is raining.

I know-fix the hood, but I have not figured out how to bend the hood since they are heavy and reinforced well.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on adjusting the trunk weatherstrip for no leaks? Reply with quote

Sounds like you're trying to compensate for a known bowing issue with your hood with a standard part that is designed to seal a hood that is straight.

Is there any possibility to add additional material under the seal (shim it), on either side where the bow is in the hood to raise the seal up in those specific areas to meet the hood?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on adjusting the trunk weatherstrip for no leaks? Reply with quote

I will give that a shot. I have pulled the seal up but when I shut the heavy lid it probably pushes it back down.

Thanks for the idea. I will see what I can come up with.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: