Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

ok i got the 1/4 scale vw bus model engine, you can see all the parts inside, i am painting everything different to show it all off, but engine has errors, i have this posted on a model page, but i need 36hp/40hp engine details that i dont know. id like to find out what this is supposed to be, i think it is a mixed bag of parts,

1st, they call it a 36hp, and it clearly is not, i has a bolt on generator stand,

what was the last year for the fuel pump on the side instead of the top of the engine?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but check out this oil filler draft road tube, see how it curves around at the bottom, not a 1600DP, that tube almost straight, any idea what year this is supposed to be?

check out this air cleaner, now i think this is a WWII 25hp air cleaner, but that is a guess, anyone know for sure? does the air come in both ends, or just 1?

check out the carb, has 1 big error, no throttle arm, that i can add, but does anyone recognize it? i dont see an accelerator pump, but some old bug carbs did not have them right?

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

there are so many inaccuracies with this kit that it's probably best just to view it as a novelty item.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

agree, but i want to make it as best i can
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

It's not an exact model... just an approximation.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

so it looks like the air cleaner, carb, and muffler are all 25hp

so when was last year for gas pump on the side of the case?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

25 and 36 had the pump on the side. 1961 was the 1st year for the 40hp in a beetle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

so this is a true mixed bag,
no bug ever had the fuel pump on the side and the bolt on generator stand, correct? i will try to do this engine justice, but someone could have tried a little harder in the design
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

out of curiosity, does the manual try to explain the design under the

'technical knowledge' heading or is it mostly assembly instructions?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
no bug ever had the fuel pump on the side and the bolt on generator stand, correct? i will try to do this engine justice, but someone could have tried a little harder in the design

No Bug did, but the "bastard" engine in the Bus did in '59/'60.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
volkaholic1 wrote:

Fuel pump looks to be in the top of the case, not the side like a 25/36 engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1/4 scale plastic model bus engine - trying to get more details Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
volkaholic1 wrote:

Fuel pump looks to be in the top of the case, not the side like a 25/36 engine.

Dang, I didn't look closely, you're right! So the bastard engine had a late style case, not just a separate gen stand.

Expensive model to be so wrong... grrrrr.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: