Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rail-buggy hood/ body panels
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Rail-buggy hood/ body panels Reply with quote

I've spent a considerable amount of time enjoying the pictures and explanations of you guys' builds and modifications of your projects here, so I felt I should at least make an effort to overcome my own tech-ignorance/ laziness, or whatever, and show a bit of my own hatchet-work.
I bought this buggy about 18 months ago, and have been working on it since, changing things to better suit me as I get more seat-time and miles in it. The warden and I took it down Baja with us last spring for a fine 6 weeks of fun, which encouraged me to make a few changes.
The latest of which is the addition of a hood and some body-panels. I recently showed the addition of an auto-glass windshield, which replaced the lexan windshield which was on the buggy when I bought it.
For the hood, I used a piece of .060 5052-H32 aluminum sheet, 34" x 48" that I got from my son's machine-shop. The 48" width wasn't wide enough to cover from tube to tube at the windshield end, but the trimmings from the front (narrow) end were just right to make up the difference.
I tried to use the HF brake you can see in the background, but neither it nor I had enough ass to do the job, so I went back to son's shop and pieced together a punch/ die to do the bending.
The pics are a bit jumbled and not in chronological order, but maybe they will suffice to get the idea across.
Looks like I didn't get a pic of the hood latches, only the mounting plates for the catches.
I brushed on 3 coats of Rustoleum Hammered black, which looks really good from 15 feet, not quite as good up close. Some kind of grey streaks up close. Don't know if I'll leave it, get used to it, or what.
Weather here in north Bama was nice enough for a little back-road ride today, about 40 miles or so.
Stan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rail-buggy hood/ body panels Reply with quote

Looking good!
AWS1946
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rail-buggy hood/ body panels Reply with quote

I like it
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rail-buggy hood/ body panels Reply with quote

Wow, super nice work!

-Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: