Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearwrench tap and die set help
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Gearwrench tap and die set help Reply with quote

I bought gearwrench tap and die set. I have used the dies a few times now, and they work great. No issues with them at all. Nice set.

There is one issue I have, that I can't figure out if it's operator error, or if it's how it's supposed to be.

When you use the ratcheting handle, you add the adapter to receive a die of choice. set the die in place, tighten it in place by the thumb screw. Once you start cutting the threads, you are limited to a specific depth due to the adapter having plastic stops in the center.

Unless I am not doing something right, but how do you chase threads on a long bolt? The bolt can't pass through the center.

I was cleaning threads, and I ended up using a ratchet / deep well socket for the extra height needed.

Am I missing something?

Here's the set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBC75S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearwrench tap and die set help Reply with quote

Probably need to take it to a machine shop ... It seems like the old sets you could reverse it so that would not happen but I have slept since then Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearwrench tap and die set help Reply with quote

those plastic bits are adjustable pawls to help start the die square.
Looks a lot like a small three jaw lathe chuck, aka scroll chuck, and should work the same.
I assume these plastic pawls they adjust in and out by rotating the plastic ring on the outside.

This is from looking at the picture granted, but I am familiar with tools.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearwrench tap and die set help Reply with quote

hmmmmm, thank you. i'll look at it closer tomorrow, see what i find
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearwrench tap and die set help Reply with quote

personally, l would dump the ratcheting handles all together, or at least lock them so they don't ratchet, those plastic things are a good idea l guess, once you have the thread started, you should back off the die and remove the plastic things, as you only really need them for starting the thread.

619 201 0310
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gearwrench tap and die set help Reply with quote

Taps and dies are consumables , but most of us don’t use them enough to really figure that out unless your are in the trade 3 3/7.

For a critical job on an expensive part I buy a new one if I’m really cutting new threads vs chasing an old part
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearwrench tap and die set help Reply with quote

if you are just cleaning up threads , try using thread chasers,.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: