Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION)
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

G'day all. Question for the tech-savvy 'Teeners' concerning distributors. I tried to find out what the make and spec is on the body of my dizzy in use on my dual-40mm-IDF carb conversion set-up but could not see any part number or 'brand' on it (dizzy-in-car...not taken out and removed). The dizzy has an electronic ignition and uses a Bosch Blue coil.

I recently came across a thread on the PELICAN PARTS 914 tech forum on 'ideal' dizzies for carbureted 914s and was curious about what my presently installed dizzy is, since there seems to be a consensus that Bosch 009s are to be avoided on a carb-conversion, opting instead for a preferred 050 dizzy, so as to ostensibly eliminate backfiring and exhaust 'popping'.

Although I have the dual Weber 40 IDF set-up (the car came to me this way), I am not necessarily interested in extra speed or raw power, preferring a smoother, more moderate response on the road. While the dual Webers most likely are overdue for some attention (balancing, synch and idle/main fuel jet etc inspection), what's the prevailing view on using a 050 dizzy for a 914-4 twin-carb system? Good, bad or irrelevant? What's the supposed benefit of using a 050 dizzy with twin-carbs? Think Thanks.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

The 050 is the "009" of Type 4 engines. Better quality than the Chinese 009 but not much better. The curve is very linear.

I'd suggest the CB Magnaspark or 123 which are both programmable and can be optimized for your engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The 050 is the "009" of Type 4 engines. Better quality than the Chinese 009 but not much better. The curve is very linear.

I'd suggest the CB Magnaspark or 123 which are both programmable and can be optimized for your engine.

AH! The 050 is the mechanical equivalent of the 009 for type IV engines, eh? Thanks for explaining that for me. I'll take a look into the CB Magnaspark and 123 distribs. Thanks, Glenn.

[PS: I had a 009 on my '73 Beetle (which also came with it) and it was never much good on that bug. Replaced it with a stock vacuum-advance dizzy and found it so much better (eliminating the dreaded 'flat spot' symptom on my stock engine). Unless one is into performance/competition, the 009 is over-rated. Looks like the same criteria applies equally to Type IV engines, also.]

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

Windisch wrote:
Unless one is into performance/competition, the 009 is over-rated.

The 009 was never good, there were/are much better options for performance engines.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Windisch wrote:

The 009 was never good, there were/are much better options for performance engines.

Funny how so many engine performance shops automatically slap on a 009 to a rebuild, when a different unit may be loads better. Wonder how that automatic reflex got started?

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

Windisch wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Windisch wrote:

Funny how so many engine performance shops automatically slap on a 009 to a rebuild, when a different unit may be loads better. Wonder how that automatic reflex got started?

They're cheap... $50 and shops will charge $200 including install.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

Aha! The old profit motive. Illuminating, to say the least!

Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

Always had nice results using a SVA distributor, providing you have vacuum ports. The transition off idle is smooth.

I've only read about folks using the 123 units, no experience myself.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor help: 1974 Porsche 914-4 (1.8 LITER/CARB CONVERSION) Reply with quote

Thanks for that input, RootWerks. I've had some experience with Bug dizzys and removed the 009 my current Bug had on it (from a previous rebuild) to replace it with the SVA unit (which also worked quite well), but never really had to delve into the mechanical functions of 412/914 type engines, before, despite having had several 914s in past years. [They were all in perfect daily driver shape, hence I never paid much extra attention to the engine room, sad to admit.]

This time around, I'm being forced to take an intimate 'dive' into 914 mechanicals due to having acquired a 1.8 liter car with the dual-Weber twin-throat (40IDF) set-up, and to some extent it's like riding into Injin Country! without any knowledge of the tribal customs therein (poor analogy, perhaps, with apologies to Indigenous Peoples, LoL). Dual-Weber carb conversions replace any inherent FI problems with a whole new set of problems (as Dr. 914 points out in his book). I never thought much about 914 carb conversion fine points (such as what dizzy to use with them) before, consequently, and am now playing catch-up. Shoulda read Tech Tips 700 a LONG time ago...

My understanding is that vacuum ports can be retro-created, under certain circumstances, thereby allowing an SVDA approach...but haven't yet done enough reading to know much about it (thus far, especially with a dual carb setup). I have a sneaking suspicion that my new 914 also has a mild cam upgrade in it, along with the carbs, and a custom exhaust (frustrating to have gotten the car without any documentation on its prior life!).

How nice it would be to have Herr Doktor Professor Heinz Zipferstrudle of the Guckenheimer Motor Institute on retainer, right now! Drool Sigh!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: