Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Slave cylinder which brand?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

After a couple years, my clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Think it was FEBI. Thinking about Exidy or LUK. Opinions?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
After a couple years, my clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Think it was FEBI. Thinking about Exidy or LUK. Opinions?

Exedy or LUK are the exact same ones. I've been testing a few chinese hydraulics from them, so far so good. I have 5 years on a clutch and brake masters, 4 on the clutch slave. I opened them, the quality seems decent.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

As of today, GoWesty, Van Cafe and BusLab are all Out of Stock on clutch slaves. I bet you'll find one if you look but just saying it's a hard time to be choosing good brands.

-Rob

Last edited by Robw_z on Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
RichBenn wrote:

Exedy or LUK are the exact same ones. I've been testing a few chinese hydraulics from them, so far so good. I have 5 years on a clutch and brake masters, 4 on the clutch slave. I opened them, the quality seems decent.

Thank you!
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
As of last today, GoWesty, Van Cafe and BusLab are all Out of Stock on clutch slaves. I bet you'll find one if you look but just saying it's a hard time to be choosing good brands.

-Rob

I noticed that. But every other, non-Vanagon specific parts vendors seem to have them in stock.
BrownLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

FTE if you can find one. They are out of stock at the usual online places but shops my have them on hand if there are any near you that work on Vanagons. Reference Automotive near my in Bellingham, WA had one in stock and were gracious enough to sell it to me. Also try Ken Willford at Vanagain as he may be able to order them.

I recently found that I had suffered shifting issues (grinding gears) since 2013 due to a slave cylinder that was too short. Then I replaced it in December with a new one and that one was even shorter, causing the transmission to not go into gear at all. Finally, the FTE solved the problem I didn't know existed.

Here's the thread on that:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

Are there rebuild kits out there? When I was a kid, my dad never bought a new master cylinder. He would do a quick hone in the bore and then replace all the rubber seals. Put it back together and throw it back in...

Hans
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

Here's one...

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/12886564-JP-21320700...gJKRPD_BwE
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

FTE on fleabay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132935374243
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
FTE on fleabay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132935374243

The price is suspiciously low. I've had that happen when they "forget" to change the title of the listing and sell you a chinese no name part....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

I would say there are max 3 factories making these cylinders.
The cheapest black ones with laser engraved partnrs. Like the Meyle, Febi, JPGroup, etc.
The "middle class" zinc coated with some cast markings. Probably made in italy but more likely also in china. Like Lpr, Sachs, Bosch, etc. I would say Ate ones are the same.
The "premium". Like FTE, TRW, Girling, Hella. Also probably in italy, but more likely somewhere in the east.

But of course the boxing brands buy bulk from different suppliers, so you find the good one in one box and you will find the bad in the other
Here you can see the catalog pics to compare. No guarantee if they look the same in the box Wink :
https://www.niparts.com/s_637E62/03252527113.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

i had to chime in as my build from a few years ago just ended up with brake fluid on the cab floor, eating the paint and soaking the carpet, pad and all. Love that brake fluid

Anyway, i had bought an FTE in mid 2019 and its barely made it 5 years with light ussage as the van is not a daily driver
The res grommets seem to have leaked on me in the past on another van after super cold weather which is like this time too but no evidence of grommet leak this time. Rubber shrinkage happens
I wonder if anybody else had short life with FTE or am i just lucky? I saw a Sachs available but doesn t sound like its any better than FTE which VC is calling “german” - box says Germany but another sticker on the part says elsewhere..which i ve seen on Meyle parts sometimes
Guess i try another fte?
B
71 Squareback sold
70 Westfalia lost to fire by new owner
71 Super Beetle rolled/scrapped
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

l buy FTE, and have had nothing but long lasting use out of them.
l've never had to replace one l have fitted for a customer

619 201 0310
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

Rock Auto
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,199...inder,2044

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

Sorry i should clarify my recent issue with fluid on the cab floor was a leak that developed from the clutch master and not the slave. The boot which seals the pushrod business end was wet and i assume the unit has failed somehow. when i get it disassembled i will confirm this.

On a side note regarding the slave cyl
Twice i have had vans that either would not shift correctly or couldn t be put into gear. Simply bleeding the slave of dark dirty fluid rectified the issue without replacing the part. Kind of weird
B
71 Squareback sold
70 Westfalia lost to fire by new owner
71 Super Beetle rolled/scrapped
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

I just received an order from California Import Parts that included a clutch enslaved cylinder as well as a rebuild kit.

I've yet to install either since the van is outside and weather is awful, but the parts are "Classic Line" brand, distributed by JP Group.
The packages say "Denmark", but it doesn't say "Made in Denmark".
The cylinder is painted black with silver (laser?) printing.

My plan is to swap the bad part out and then rebuild it if it is still good. I have found that cast iron brake cylinders tend to get pitted, whereas aluminum ones do not. So my old part may well be unusable.

Of course, with rare and expensive parts the pitted cores are often sleeved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

Van den Broke wrote:
I just received an order from California Import Parts that included a clutch enslaved cylinder as well as a rebuild kit.

I've yet to install either since the van is outside and weather is awful, but the parts are "Classic Line" brand, distributed by JP Group.
The packages say "Denmark", but it doesn't say "Made in Denmark".
The cylinder is painted black with silver (laser?) printing.

My plan is to swap the bad part out and then rebuild it if it is still good. I have found that cast iron brake cylinders tend to get pitted, whereas aluminum ones do not. So my old part may well be unusable.

Of course, with rare and expensive parts the pitted cores are often sleeved.

Wasn't made in Denmark!
It will take you all of ten minutes to pull the seals off and replace them after you get it out. If you do swap it out with the JP brand definitely carry the spare seal kit with you.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Van den Broke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

If that's true, it would seem that consumer protection legislation is really deteriorating.

I had the notion years ago that products had to have the country of origin marked on them.

I used to repair brake hydraulic cylinders by only changing the rubber cups, which I could get at one of the older auto parts or brake shops in town. Those cups wearing out are the usual cause of hydraulic cylinder failure. I hope that the new ones are made as well as the originals, or the US made replacements I used to get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

If there is no damage or corrosion inside to the piston of cylinder and if you can find a high quality rebuild kit I would rebuild it as it is simple. If not the original fitted was TRW and they are quality .
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Slave cylinder which brand? Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Are there rebuild kits out there?

here's some i have for the master and slave.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: