Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

2002 Eurovan w/ 135k miles

We have tranny error codes for the torque converter lock up clutch and tranny fluid temp sensor, ugh!
A friend has offered the use of a 2 post lift to make changing the tranny fluid&filter easier (we have sloping driveway).

Where on chassis are correct lift points , drawing or images would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

I've never lifted an EV up with a two post, but I have done a number of Vanagons. The EV has a large sturdy bulkhead running perpendicular to the centerline just behind the front wheelwell. Do Not Lift from the pinchweld along the rocker panels. I seem to recall that the rear control arms have a sturdy bracket for the outer pivot which can be used to lift the van.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
samba415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

My apologies as I come here with no answers, just observations. Only a select few seem to know this info as most EV's suffer from gross abuse and damage of said lift points.

Current: '04 Golf TDI, '03 Weekender
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

I've never tried to use a two post lift on any vehicle, but past reading tells me to use the points in the owners manual shown as lifting points and that most lifts are going to need some kind of extender to reach those.

Not very helpful, I know, mostly just trying to bump your post up to see if anyone has a complete answer.
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I've never tried to use a two post lift on any vehicle, but past reading tells me to use the points in the owners manual shown as lifting points and that most lifts are going to need some kind of extender to reach those.

Not very helpful, I know, mostly just trying to bump your post up to see if anyone has a complete answer.

This is what I do. You definitely need truck adapters.
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

Thanks all
Unfortunately a PO buggered up pinch weld on the driver side rear, front is not great either.
I think the propane tank may get in the way unless the lift has an articulating joint on the end.
I’m suddenly not optimistic, but will report what happens.

I’ll bring some 4x4’s in case

Charles
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

Update
We got van on lift using truck adapters as suggested - thanks!
Changed tranny fluid without issue, so now we'll see if that cured error codes and/or improved shifting, clunks as reverse engaged.
I'm on the hunt for a manual tranny as this will fail sooner vs latter.

Unrelated to topic (lift), but when we were warming transmission and running thru gears we saw engine as well as axels moving front/rear - normal?

here is movie link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wwbH-BzjmdsQiDgAgoqyCvYBEH4QtXVC/view?usp=drive_link

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

hcr wrote:
when we were warming transmission and running thru gears we saw engine as well as axels moving front/rear - normal?

The engine mounts and pendulum/trans mounts have rubber bushings and have some play. The rocking motion shown in your video appears normal, though it is worth looking at the condition of the mounts to determine if they need replacement.

Check for:
- Cracks/tears in the rubber bushings
- Check sag of upper mounts, usually be verifying clearance between exhaust manifold and power steering lines. If marginal or no clearance, replace mounts. (there SHOULD be a bumper holding the manifold away from the PS lines but the arm that holds it or the bumper itself many times go missing).
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:

Check for:
- Cracks/tears in the rubber bushings
- Check sag of upper mounts, usually be verifying clearance between exhaust manifold and power steering lines. If marginal or no clearance, replace mounts. (there SHOULD be a bumper holding the manifold away from the PS lines but the arm that holds it or the bumper itself many times go missing).

Thanks, I’ll check on bushings and sag.
I know there is no rubber bumper keeping manifold off PS lines.
If I remember correctly I believe PO has hose clamp holding the bumper arm to something below it. I’ll check on that.

Is there a definitive method to check sag?

Charles
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2 post lift points for 2002 eurovan Reply with quote

Sure enough, exhaust manifold is ~ in contact with PS lines.
A new project- I read where driver side are a bear to access.

C
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: