Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deserter Series 1 build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Deserter Series 1 build Reply with quote

With the chassis now a roller I started fitting the body. As far as I know this buggy was an original build before the guy I bought it from disassembled it. It then sat for years until I got it. The body is actually pretty clean as far as hackery goes. There are holes to fill which is typical but don't seem to be any extras. It had a top at one time evidenced by the holes for the snaps. Little repair needs to be done except the unfortunate engine access "Hood" cut in the back. I will get to that later.

After sitting for decades not bolted to a chassis the body mount lips edges were twisted up some and curled inwards. Had to deal with that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I set the body on the chassis I saw it wanted to kick off to the left exposing too much tire sidewall on the right front and not enough on the left. Can't let that go.

I saw the body was hitting the right torsion bar cap. It was also pushing the body forwards and the area over the Napolean Hat would not line up. I opened up the body in front of the torsion cap to allow it to straighten out.

There was a sizable gap over the rear crossmember too. I used the stock holes in that area to draw the body down. It bolted down pretty evenly all around.

I had to "Persuade" the body at the napolean hat to take on the shape of the chassis in those areas using long bolts in the front and drawing it down gradually. There were a few crackles and pops but it settled in and it evened up nicely. Carefully applied heat fom a heat gun helped ease the body back into shape.

To get the body centered over the tires I put a shim between the body and the napolean hat to raise it up enough to move the body enough to make tire stickout even. There are 4 holes at the front of the pan, two on each side. I used 2 of those holes, one each side and drilled up through those holes and through Buggy body flange. I took two long 5/16" bolts and nuts with big washers to ease the body down a bit at a time.

I used some braces and clamps to get everything in place.

The exsisting holes in this previously mounted body mostly lined up with the holes in the new floor pans after I used levers and braces to get the body unwarped then bolted it down. I had to push the body outwards on the drivers side to get the body mounting flange to align with the pan rail.

Now all the tire stickout is uniform.

The right rear fender had warped and curled inwards from sitting for decades. i put these wood shims in and heat cycled it over the course of months to try to restore the proper shape.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Murphy's Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Deserter Series 1 build Reply with quote

Good job, Mike! I'm finally a roller but at the moment I'm fighting too many projects to do more than putter on mine. The pre-tag has gone off to my younger brother the 'glass guru to turn it into a Manx II and flatten the rear seat to fit my IRS. He wanted my '82 Harley and I wanted to speed up the build so win-win!

I sent the rear of the Deserter down with the body and it's for sure he won't be using the engine cover, just the left rear inner. If you still want it when you get to that point, it's still yours. I haven't forgotten about it.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Deserter Series 1 build Reply with quote

Thanks Murphy's Law. I appreciate it.

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Deserter Series 1 build Reply with quote

Except for the Western Bullet wheels, which I decided I didn't like, this is the current state of the Buggy. I am doing a mock assembly with all the parts that came with it. I can set the ride height and steering wheel position then.

The dash is bonded to the hood and is very rigid. I may not need a dash subframe.
Note the tall windshield. Works out well because otherwise my eyes would be looking over the top of it frame even with the Porsche 914 seats mounted as low as they will go. The extra 4" of wheelbase really helps with legroom too.

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Deserter Series 1 build Reply with quote

Back working on this. Cold weather kept me out of the shop for a while as it isn't heated. Can't take the cold as well as when I was a young man. I also had to work on my daily driver Silverado so that killed a few weeks. Lately I did manage to work a few hours here and there and got some things done. Since it's still too cold to do fiberglass repair I will turn to the parts to be assembled. I am assembling the buggy completely to make sure everything fits before blowing it all back apart for bodywork and paint. Fitting seats, steering, brakes, windshield, roll bar etc, and the engine.

The engine is a 1968 1500 that I had apart to re seal the top end 10 years ago. It's actually a 83mm bore so still a 1500. I have that on an engine stand to clean up for installation.

The buggy came with Dietz 820 headlights and Chrome 62-67 style tail lights that were original to the Buggy. Nice Chrome. Also a Lucas License plate light. An interesting thing is the small light lens in the back of the headlight on the drivers side. It is wired to the high beam side of the light plug evidently an outside high beam indicator.

The light just hangs on the back of the plug, I guess with the bulb installed it's fairly close to the lens. Need to test it to see how effective that is.

I like that unique feature. I will keep that.

The stickers show 1978 as last year it was registered. Inspection is overdue.

The buggy is filthy too from sitting in the corner of my shop since 2012. Needs a bath.

Mike T

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: