Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Alaninin wrote:
Update: got it started again. The problem with it not starting was the starter relay by the steering column. Pushed on wires and tightened mounting screw and now you hear the fuel pump come on and starts fine.

Now that it starts again I removed the bolt in the hose that was plugged and should be connected to the MAP sensor. The idle went up when bolt removed. Than reconnected to the hose to the MAP sensor and the idle went way up. Not sure where to go next or what to check to get the car running correctly as it should. Any help would be appreciated on this one.

Next question: Will a silicone 90 degree elbow work on the heater hose in upper photo? It says it’s good up to 420 degrees F. Or does anyone have a link to material to use for this? I have not found anything 2 1/8 - 2 1/4 inch high temp hose.
Thank you,
Alan
Small for steps on getting things fixed.

That heater hose does not need to be especially high temp. That pipe is metric and so is the hose. They are typically the same size as those used on a bus.

The size on that hose was originally 55.2mm..so that is 2.17". You are having the same problem that many have had for eons. If you get readily available corrugated lauminum hoses they will be SAE and be either 2" 1/8" (if you can find that) and will work but need a clamp. Rare.

Usually you will find 2.25". Too big...but if you snip one side about 1" long with a sharp scissors and slide it on and then clamp it, it works fine.

At one point in time a few of the type 2 bus parts suppliers get their hands on proper metric hose. It comes and goes.....wait...

Check this out and note the fit in the lower part of the page

https://www.busdepot.com/211261235a

As for running.....I need to say this....SLOW DOWN! Wink

Its not going to be a quick...how tyo fix this on the injection. It may be simple....but you will not have any way of knowing that and can literally spend YEARS tweaking with it and never get it running right.

You need to slow down ,cehck the fit and condition of every single part in the injection system. Its actually a pretty simple system as far as numebr of parts.....but its deceptively difficult to tune and work on...if every single part is not in its correct place and functioning properly.

There are 23 wires in the system. You need to clean and check the fit of every single one. Dirty connections, loose connections, missing connections...the system has "0" tolerance for.

Every single vacuum hose, seal and gasket must be in the right place and leak free. "0" vacuum leaks tolerated...because the fuel mixture and load calculation are 100% vacuum based on this ssytem. Any tiny vacuum leak is interpreted as an open throttle.

You also need to make sure the parts you have for the injection are correct for your year. This includes the part # on the MPS...dozens of models that fit and only a couple will work.

First thing you need to check the fuel pressure. It needs to be spot on. It can tolerate or be tuned around having about 3 psi too much...but will not tolerate having pressure too low ...below its spec of 28 psi. The regulator is adjustable.

You should get at least a minimum book for this car that points out the big parts you need to wrap your head around.

This one is probably the best all around manual

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126253825219?chn=ps&n...tAQAvD_BwE

This copy is cheap too.

The other available manuals like the Clymer and a couple of thers have some useful stuff in them...but not for what you are working on right now.

WE will get into more later.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Glad you got it running by fixing the fuel pump relay. Good work!

As Ray said make sure you have the proper fuel pressure and that is easy to check because you have the engine running. You will need a pressure gauge and it hooks up to a 8mm screw fitting you remove to slide the hose on. Located on the fuel line between #3 and #4 fuel injectors. Running, it needs to be at about 28 psi. Careful of fuel leaks!

I suspect the MPS has been tampered with or it does not function properly because the vac hose was disconnected and plugged. I would first check to see if the MPS can hold any vacuum...this is a first basic check that is important. I would start here. Photos included...

Mityvac gauge is nice to have. Slip the hose on the vacuum port and draw it down to between 12-15 inches Hg. Should hold that vacuum for 3 to 5 minutes. This indicates the seal between the halves of the MPS is good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This shows the black seal that I am talking about.

The copper diaphragm is part of what is inside the MPS. The black seal and this thin diaphragm is part of a kit one can order from Tangerine Racing if needed.

Your MPS if not previously tampered with should look like this with an epoxy filler over the the adjustment screw on the back side. There are 2 MPS's in the photo here.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaninin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

More pictures of the relay added to the starter. Not sure what this relay is doing but it looks like one red wire going to the relay is original and might go to the starter where the added red wire is going to on the starter. Yellow wire has fuse and going to starter looks like added. Black on relay goes to ground. Thoughts??

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Alaninin wrote:
More pictures of the relay added to the starter. Not sure what this relay is doing but it looks like one red wire going to the relay is original and might go to the starter where the added red wire is going to on the starter. Yellow wire has fuse and going to starter looks like added. Black on relay goes to ground. Thoughts??

I have no doubt that this is an added "Hard Start Relay". These were also used on 12 volt systems, not just 6 volt.

Here is how it is wired...
+ juice from the battery to #30 at the relay
- from the battery or a close ground to #86 at the relay
from key in start position to #85 at the relay
from starter solenoid to #87 at the relay

the 15 amp fuse is to protect that hot battery circuit wiring.

Previous owner had a starting problem and tried to fix it using this method. Reality is there is another problem or problems in the electrical system. YOU NEED TO CHECK... Main battery and positive and negative cables. You probably need all new cables. Clean all connections. There is a very important chassis ground strap. It is located at the front end of your automatic transmission and bolts to the frame of the car. If old I would replace it. Make sure all studs, bolts, washers, and nuts are really clean. Clean all those starter connections by removing the cables. Clean it all up really good.

I would look at all these things first and go from there. Good luck...Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

I agree with Pepperbilly.

Due to its location and configuration, it's most likely a hard start relay.

However, still.....before just removing it, carefully follow the power lines. I want to know exactly where the large red power wire is coming from, meaning, where is it pulling power FROM.

My worry goes back to one of my first line of questions here. I have seen A LOT of these cars over the years.
Back in the day....call it the late 70s, 80s and maybe into the early 90s when a lot of the surviving 411 and 412 cars had been sitting in back yards and garages for a while not running because of a whole slew of problems mostly to do with higher complexity and virtually no one outside of dealer care able or willing to work on them.....a lot of first owner cars......the 2nd owner was usually some young kid like I was when I got mine in 1979.

Back in the late 70s into the early 80s, cars had tons of emissions vacuum lines and widgets. On American cars, owners could spend all day unplugging and bypassing vacuum lines and wires from the emissions system and they seemed to make no difference....on basic running.....if all you needed it to do was make it "run".

When American car owners got their hands on a 411 or 412 and looked under the hood at D-jet and the gasoline furnace system....they largely thought the same hack rules applied. Laughing Plug emissions stuff....and if you need power for something....pull it from wherever seems to supply it that does not seem to be using it right now.

The 411 and 412 did NOT have vacuum lines and wires that were not KEY. The first place that usually got robbed for power back in the rear of the car was the gasoline furnace.

So we need to carefully trace where everything came from and where it's going so we can put the power supply back where it belongs.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Good advice from Ray. Each wire from the relay has to be traced so we know exactly where the wires go. No power should be taken off of the gas furnace circuit.

Bill
Alaninin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help and support. I will be on travel the next few months and will have little time to work on the car. I will trace this hot wire back to see where it originates from once I get back.
I replaced all the vacuum line last week. Fuel lines have all been replaced from previous owner and don’t seem to be very old.

Thanks again,
Alan
Alaninin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

All,
My MPS is not holding a vacuum as Pepperbilly mentioned. Not sure if I should buy the rebuild kit. The diaphragm looks good but again not sure how to test. I really don’t want to buy a $195 rebuild kit if it’s not needed. Can you just buy the gasket/o-ring?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Alan
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

In the pictures of the MPS that peperbilly posted, on the back end where the epoxy plug is...notice the two oval slot shaped holes at about 7 and 8 o'clock position.

Cover those two holes with a double layer of scotch tape to seal them up.

Pull vacuum again. If it stops the leak it means your copper diaphragm is cracked and you need a kit. If it does not seal the unit then your o-ijg between the unit halves is leaking.

Ray
Alaninin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Thank you Ray. Got back in the garage today and tested the MPS with vacuum and taped up holes. Good news it still leaked. Next I will try to find a o-ring that will work. If you know what is being used as a replacement let me know.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Alaninin wrote:
Thank you Ray. Got back in the garage today and tested the MPS with vacuum and taped up holes. Good news it still leaked. Next I will try to find a o-ring that will work. If you know what is being used as a replacement let me know.

Ok....it not a normal o-ring. It's a square profile o-ring. This is not saying that a round o-ring will not work.....but it MUST be exact fit because if the round profile o-ring holds the two halves apart even 0.001"....it changes the adjustment of the MPS.

If you take it apart, first scribe a line across both halves just to be sure it goes back together the same way. They are generally machined....actually die cast .....so accurately that it SHOULD not matter but best not take chances.

If yours is riveted together.....the rivets are aluminum. Use a Drexel tool to nicely slice off ONE rivet head at a time. Then use a punch to punch out that one rivet. Then tap it for a metric cheese head screw. I think either 3mm or 4mm is what it takes.

Then do the next one and the next one. This keeps everything straight.

Really.....since we know yours is working internally.....and you are looking for a seal already.....taking it apart and having to do this again in a year or two to replace a cracked copper diaphragm...which will inevitably happen.....makes it worthwhile to buy the kit from Tangerine and just do it all now.

But.....there are a couple of ways to get around the seal issue right now. I would not mess with a round o-ring. Too hard to find the right one and make it work.

Typically the shrinkage of that o-ring is maybe 0.001" to 0.002". When you get it apart, take that o-ring and clean it off well. Then clean out the MPS and the seal groove with electrical contact cleaner.

Then go to the parts store and buy a tube of Permatex moto-seal. This is a high temp RTV....but it's solvent based and very thin it's also 60% solvent.

So.....you brush on a thin, smooth layer in the seal groove only on one half. Let it dry completely. What this means is that once it dries....it is 60% thinner than what you brushed on. You only want it on one half. You are trying to build up the sealing surface only about 0.001". It will remain slightly tacky after dry. Then put the clean seal back in, bolt it together and try the vacuum now. It it still leaks down very slowly.....take it apart and do a thin layer on the other side of the groove....let it dry and put it back together. This usually fixes it.

Ray
Alaninin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Again thank you for all the information. I have another question about the MPS. Could it be losing vacuum from another areas like the plug? I put silicone around the seam and it still lost vacuum.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this? Reply with quote

Alaninin wrote:
Again thank you for all the information. I have another question about the MPS. Could it be losing vacuum from another areas like the plug? I put silicone around the seam and it still lost vacuum.

Be very sure the two oval holes are really plugged when you are testing. If in doubt, tape over the plug too.
Also...be sure it's not your suction device or hose leaking.

It's actually fairly hard to perfectly seal that o-ring seam. It can be leaking through the seal through one of the rivet holes. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: