Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick Shock???
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Quick Shock??? Reply with quote

Hello all.

I'm in the process of making up mounts for my new Bilstein shocks and they came with sleeves for 1/2" bolts. Probably for multiple installations.

I tried to read the Shocks, Shocks, Shocks and get anything out of it relevant to my need, but came up empty. I was looking for possibly which valving would be best for a sand rail that will spend some time on the street and trails, and of course, the dunes. I have 9.5" of travel on my IRS and purchased 11" travel shocks. I bought 5125 series shocks with 170/60 valving. I could have got down to the 150/ or up to 300/ to 400/, but I based my choice on a softer shock. I may be replacing these as soon as I get out with it, but I got no input as to what to look for my needs, so I SWAG'd it... Smile

I'm making mounts from scratch, so should I NOT use the sleeves and just design my mounts for 5/8" bolts instead? It would be stronger for sure. They are rubber inserted eyes, both ends.

Thanks, Dan
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Shock??? Reply with quote

I can't help you with the valving but 1/2" grade 8 bolts with a double shear mounting will handle your needs. Fox, King and other manufacturers all use 1/2" mounting bolts even with coil over shocks for our application. Just make good mounts and you will be fine.
Kenric
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Shock??? Reply with quote

I don't know how much weight your carrying on the front but since you refer to it as a rail I'm picturing not much. I would suggest as light as you can go to start. If you seen any pics of my woodsbuggy it weighs just over 2000lb. the weight on my front wheels is around 250lbs. Not much.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Shock??? Reply with quote

woodsbuggy wrote:
I can't help you with the valving but 1/2" grade 8-bolts with a double shear mounting will handle your needs. Fox, King and other manufacturers all use 1/2" mounting bolts even with coil over shocks for our application. Just make good mounts and you will be fine.
Kenric

I had issues with the amount of room I have on my new tubing to fit the Bilstein 5125 series. I just sent them back and ordered 255/80 Bilstein 7100 series short with reservoir. This valving is what the Bilstein guy recommended for my use. Also the 7100 series can be re-valved at the factory if these are not quite what I wanted. I was looking at their bypass series without coilovers and they have an internal bump stop that keeps the fabrication to minimum. BUT... At $1,100 each, I decided to take my chances on these... Smile

On the 7100 series they have 1/2 heim joints so I can mount them in a straight line where I have room for them. From what I've read here that the heim joints allow quite a bit of twist while compressing without breaking mounts.

Thanks, Dan
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Shock??? Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
I don't know how much weight your carrying on the front but since you refer to it as a rail I'm picturing not much. I would suggest as light as you can go to start. If you seen any pics of my woodsbuggy it weighs just over 2000lb. the weight on my front wheels is around 250lbs. Not much.

Brian,

I thought mine was going to be quite light, but I just keep adding more and more tubing to this thing.

It was a drive it with a little TLC and so far I've changed the transaxle, rebuilding the motor with a true stroker, and I cut off ALL of the upper tubing and from the driver's seat area, the upper rails that make up the lower frame assembly. By the time I'm done, I will have added 120' of 1.5"x.095" tube. I also finished the crappy job they started to making it into a 4-seater and also added a full roof rack carrier. I'll add .065" tread plate to the underside of the roof rack and it will serve as a roof for the dunes and light rain etc.

I think I'll start a thread on my build so far. I believe it will be a very nice buggy when completed.

Oh, the frontend is a ball joint setup. I have a "select-a-drop" adjuster for the upper beam and will be removing the lower torsion bar. I have a 5/8" CRR rod that I'll thread and put in the lower beam. I bought oil only front shocks and will see how well they perform. It will be all new ball joints, urethane sleeves and all new steering and damper. The front beam has been canted back on the front about 2" to give a bit more height up front. Not seen any others canted back on top.

Still have tons of fabrication to do and figure out.

Thanks for the input, Dan!
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Shock??? Reply with quote

I went with the 7100 series. They're home rebuildable not factory as stated above and quite easy to change the valving.

For Bilstein valve stacks and parts check out wheeleveryweekend.com
Ian knows his stuff. He got started with a Baja bug.
He has a lot of helpful videos on how to re-valve many kinds of shocks including the 7100's.
https://www.wheeleveryweekend.com/products/bilstei...amp;_v=1.0
Send him an email with your valving questions and he'll get back to you quickly.
7100 how to video.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: