Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutenten51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Speedometer Reply with quote

I’m putting my 57 oval back together and I noticed the speedometer is not in great condition. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good shop to have mine rebuilt?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer Reply with quote

This fella rebuilds speedometers. And, he's in So Cal too. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=875460

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Lutenten51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer Reply with quote

Thanks 67rustavenger. This is exactly what I was looking for.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer Reply with quote

I second that recommendation for using Ryan at O.E.S. to either restore your patina'd speedo, or to buy one of his already restored speedos!

I had him restore a 1958 real original "trip odometer" speedometer that I sent him for a future Beetle Kabriolett project and it came out beautifully! I can hardly wait to install it someday.

I also had him open up a NOS Bus trip odometer speedometer for my '59 DC. You ask why??? Because even though it was unused and NOS in the VW box, the original lubricants inside it were now thicker with age and almost solids, so he carefully disassembled it, cleaned out the old and used his space-age modern lubricants to lubricate the internals of my NOS trip speedo. And for cheaper than a full restoration too since it needed nothing else (parts) but fresh lubrication.

I've also purchased outright one of his fully restored 1967 Bus speedometers when mine finally failed during a long road trip. He had one restored and sitting on the shelf made the same month which now looks stunning in my '67 Westy's dashboard. Yes, he's a little more expensive than some but with experience I've found that the quality of Ryan's work is well worth the extra cost.

A happy customer...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: