Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which trailing arms?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

Which trailing arms does everybody here prefer? My car is a rail type used for street, running Arroyos and old mining trails. The rear trailing arms are currently stock length and width but boxed. I'm going to replace them, probably with a 3+3 set.

My current choices are another boxed set or the skeleton frame type like from Latest Rage. Both are bolt in bearing housings. Which would you choose? Which is stronger? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

I was looking at these from Latest Rage.
https://www.appletreeauto.com/VW-SUSPENSION/TRAILI...in-bearing
Why are they over a hundred dollars cheaper than the others? Could it have something to do with these weighing eighteen pounds less?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

Wow! Everybody must be running stock rear trailing arms.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

I bought boxed trailing arms from buggybarn fabrication. Look him up on Facebook. He can give your insight on which ones you what for what you're doing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

66 Shorty wrote:
I bought boxed trailing arms from buggybarn fabrication. Look him up on Facebook. He can give your insight on which ones you what for what you're doing.

Thanks
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:

Yeh the board seems slow, there’s posts being made but not a lot and not a lot of replies to questions.
Ive had several sets of the boxed 3x3’s and think they all seemed retry much the same. Ive got another rail that has a set of 3x3’s that look like they the thats made out of 3x4 rec tubing, ive never driven it so cant say anything about them.

Doesnt your buggy have a non - vw engine? The 3x3’s already add an incredible amount of leverage with just the weight of the vw engine, itll be a whole lot more with the additional weight of a different engine , be prepared for that and to not be happy unless you go coilover
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
Wulfthang wrote:

Yeh the board seems slow, there’s posts being made but not a lot and not a lot of replies to questions.
Ive had several sets of the boxed 3x3’s and think they all seemed retry much the same. Ive got another rail that has a set of 3x3’s that look like they the thats made out of 3x4 rec tubing, ive never driven it so cant say anything about them.

Doesnt your buggy have a non - vw engine? The 3x3’s already add an incredible amount of leverage with just the weight of the vw engine, itll be a whole lot more with the additional weight of a different engine , be prepared for that and to not be happy unless you go coilover

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the increased leverage on the rear suspension. My engine is heavier than stock by a few hundred pounds. I did replace the rear torsion bar with a heavier one but forget which size exactly. Right now, it's a bit to stiff and is topped out sitting there. Maybe I'll just go with 1" longer.
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

What are you wanting to achieve by running longer rear arms and what CV joints are you using?
I run 5x5 rear arms with a microstub bearing with 930 CV joints and airbags, very nice ride and easily adjustable. With that said, my setup is built for off road riding, hills, trails and very little street time(only in West Virginia getting to trails).
If I were going to change from stock arms it would be a minimum of 3x3 and it would be for at least one of 4 reasons.
1 To run taller tires
2 To improve departure angle
3 To improve stability
4 To increase rear travel
Good Luck
Please let us know what you decide to do.
Kenric
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

I have to replace the stock length rear arms because one is bad. I was looking at 3x3's because I set my rear torsion's a little to stiff and was thinking/hoping that the added length would bring it down some. It's topped out now.

Now I've decided to go with the one inch over length. I've been told that my stock length axles would work with that. True or false?

My CV's are the 100mm type. I still have all of my old porting and polishing tools from when I built motorcycle engines so I "race prepped" polished them. I've had major problems with the left rear wheel bearings but the CV's have never clicked or chirped.

It's already pretty stable both on and off road. I've run it down the Interstate at 100 mph + and it ran straight and smooth although it did start to feel like to was starting to float on the floor pan. It's responsive on trails and Arroyo bottoms but does need room to turn because the front end is nine inches over width. I wonder how much worse it would be with a longer/wider rear end? Any ideas? Thanks
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

yes it should take more room to turn as you increased the wheel base length.
the only reason(s) I might have come across negative about the 3x3's is because ive seen a lot of ppl get them and seem to think they are simple swap and you instantly get 6 more inches of travel. but they want to run them on torsion bars ( which sucks and is a pain in the ass ) or they want to run type 2 cv's which limit travel greatly ( even race prepped ) . so if your not going to set them up properly to take advantage of their capabilities then why even use them, it'd be better to go with a shorter arm, be a lot less work for the same result.
and what kind of from beam do you run, how much travel does it have? not a lot of point to having 13" of travel in the rear and 6 upfront.
years a go I built an A arm sett up on a swing axle buggy, it was pointless to have 16" of travel up front and 6 in the rear but I mainly did it to see if I could and that happened to be the buggy I had at the time.

id say do the 3x3's, just do them right
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
yes it should take more room to turn as you increased the wheel base length.
the only reason(s) I might have come across negative about the 3x3's is because ive seen a lot of ppl get them and seem to think they are simple swap and you instantly get 6 more inches of travel. but they want to run them on torsion bars ( which sucks and is a pain in the ass ) or they want to run type 2 cv's which limit travel greatly ( even race prepped ) . so if your not going to set them up properly to take advantage of their capabilities then why even use them, it'd be better to go with a shorter arm, be a lot less work for the same result.
and what kind of from beam do you run, how much travel does it have? not a lot of point to having 13" of travel in the rear and 6 upfront.
years a go I built an A arm sett up on a swing axle buggy, it was pointless to have 16" of travel up front and 6 in the rear but I mainly did it to see if I could and that happened to be the buggy I had at the time.

id say do the 3x3's, just do them right

Honestly, the only reason that I wanted to go with 3x3's, was because I set my torsion's up to stiff and didn't want to take them apart again. I had hoped that the extra 3 inches would soften it up. However, after reading yours and others posts about it, I've decided not to go that route.

Travel isn't an issue although I would like more. I like to go fast on the street and sometimes off road if I know the area but mostly, I just like to crawl up and down the old mining trails.

Are longer axles required for a one inch over length trailing arm?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

I dont know about +1 arms and axles needed, sorry.
I wonder how much travel you could get with stock length arms that were mini stubs ??
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

I am sure that micro stubs would be able to handle more travel, but converting to 930 cv joints(haven't seen seen micro stub for anything but 930 or 934) and custom length axles and the cost of the trailing arms seems very expensive for the small gain. I think replacing the bad trailing arm and adjusting the rear torsion would be the most cost effective solution unless you need more suspension travel.
Kenric
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

woodsbuggy wrote:
I am sure that micro stubs would be able to handle more travel, but converting to 930 cv joints(haven't seen seen micro stub for anything but 930 or 934) and custom length axles and the cost of the trailing arms seems very expensive for the small gain. I think replacing the bad trailing arm and adjusting the rear torsion would be the most cost effective solution unless you need more suspension travel.
Kenric

The heart wants what the heart wants and "cost effective" or "need" aren't part of that equation! However, I have decided to be rational and go with 1 over length and leave it at that. I'm pretty sure my axles will handle that ok and maybe it'll be enough to tame the suspension. If not, I'll lower it a notch.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

Post up some pics when you get them, I'm shopping for the same thing now and I'm prowling the market for design/quality that I like.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which trailing arms? Reply with quote

About 3 years ago i had planned to make a jig to build some different length / width arms as it was seeming that the selections were getting slimmer but unfortunately real work has been taking up too much of my time…

And yeh, micro stubs, not mini, thanks for knowing what i meant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: