Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1997 ECV Brake Issue
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackgri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: 1997 ECV Brake Issue Reply with quote

I am having an issue where I have a good amount pedal travel before my brakes engage. If I give the pedal a quick pump, the pedal firms up some. To this point, the booster and master cylinder have been replaced, all the rubber lines, brakes have been bled 6 times with a Motive bleeder. I have even replaced the vacuum line and check vale to the booster. New pads, calipers, rotors on all four corners along with a new proportioning valve.

The pedal firms up when pumped with the engine off so I don’t think the master cylinder is faulty. The booster isn’t hissing or anything when the brakes are applied nor the the fluid level move. The ABS will kick on so I believe it is working as intended. I’m stumped.

Is it normal on a Eurovan to have a longer than average pedal travel? Is it possible that the booster isn’t getting enough pressure from the manifold? I have been getting a random SAI CEL and I’ve ordered a new Kombi valve.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 ECV Brake Issue Reply with quote

I'm servicing a '93 Weekender with a similar issue. I just got done putting on new front rotors and pads and confirming the rear drums, shoes and cyls are in excellent shape. The pedal feels mushy even after replacing the master cylinder. I was going to take a look at the proportioning valve next, but the OP went so far as to replace it and still had issues.

Anyone have the same issues?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1997 ECV Brake Issue Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm servicing a '93 Weekender with a similar issue. I just got done putting on new front rotors and pads and confirming the rear drums, shoes and cyls are in excellent shape. The pedal feels mushy even after replacing the master cylinder. I was going to take a look at the proportioning valve next, but the OP went so far as to replace it and still had issues.

Anyone have the same issues?
]

Are the rear brakes adjusted correctly, and the automatic adjusters working? Is it possible you've got a stuck caliper slide, if so equipped?

Other issues that can cause this:
Bad wheel bearing with lots of play.
bad caliper with sticky piston
rear brakes assembled wrong
Calipers installed on wrong side, so that the bleeder isn't at the top.
Bad brake hoses

You can test for rear brake assembly issues/adjuster/adjustment issues by applying the parking brake and see if that causes the issue to go away.

A bad prop valve isn't a likely suspect here, and they are expensive.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1997 ECV Brake Issue Reply with quote

Yeah, those are all the tricks I use on Vanagon brakes which are pretty similar to early EVs. The only reason I mention the proportioning valve is that it fixed a similar issue on an early Vanagon. When I dissected it, I found lots of accumulated gunk in there inhibiting its function. The wild card here is ABS, but I've always found that to be a pass through when servicing and bleeding brakes. I'll try adjusting the rear shoes to see if it brings the pedal up. Thanks!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: