Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:
Jimbo. Any progress or are we both ignoring our projects?

Nope. Just you. I have just been... Wish me luck!

Glad your making progress. It was too quiet for too long...

Agreed!

I almost stopped by last week. I was a few doors down from your house replacing a toilet and had plenty of time left to stop by. Midway through that, a property manager called with a flooded downstairs unit. Had to put the S, on my chest and fly over there! Maybe next time.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

I almost stopped by last week. I was a few doors down from your house

Any time. Just got the Single Cab back from rust repair but the bug languishes in the depths of apathy and the dread of electrical gremlins...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

I almost stopped by last week. I was a few doors down from your house

Any time. Just got the Single Cab back from rust repair but the bug languishes in the depths of apathy and the dread of electrical gremlins...

I will try and get by this weekend, to lend a hand on those electrical gremlins! I am waiting on parts. Ordered a whole bunch but nothing has showed up yet. I will hit you up if my weekend is mine. The social committee may have already booked the weekend up! I typically am on a “need to know” basis. I do not “need to know” until I do! Either way we can set up a date for me to drive on over!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Wow Jimbo...you just topped 200000 views on this thread...must be doing something right! You got a lotta lookers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
Wow Jimbo...you just topped 200000 views on this thread...must be doing something right! You got a lotta lookers

Thanks man! And I am not even half way done!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Update time!!!!!!

Been busy…..spinning my wheels! All the way up to Sanger and back. 4 1/2 hour drive. Left the house around 5am with 2 split case transmissions pack up. Got to Scott’s place around 10ish. Unloaded and immediately started to disassemble the transmission (the good one) with Scott. Man, that guy is just amazing! He knows everything! And there are VW friends coming and going from his garage! A buddy of his, Gary, stopped in to help him with his Single cab. Dude drove up in a 51 Bug! Really a cool day!

I was going to stay up there for 2 days but we ran into an issue. The transmission case came to me with white spots all over it. I never really had seen that before. Scott gave me a quick education on Magnesium going bad and how it corrodes. Based off of that conversation, we stopped building the transmission and I went about finding out what needs to be done. I called Joe Ruiz (Mr Okrasa) to see if he could help me out. He stated he just lost his source for tanking the case to get rid of the corrosion.

So, we will see what takes place.

Let’s see if I can make it interesting, for all of you!

Here is Scott at MCM in Sanger, Ca. Best transmission builder I have come across! His business number is 559-313-3301.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulling the shift fork out of the case.

Getting the circlip off the mainshaft. Took 3 guys. The pliers could not get a bite on the circlip. They kept sliding off of it!

The main shaft had some minor pits on the seal surface so it was dressed up a bit. One of Scott’s crew took care of that for me! Super cool crew!

Shaft came out super smooth! We then rebuilt the mainshaft. Installed the new bearings I was able to find!

And that’s when I decided to not stay, so I could get the case dipped, back down where I live! Loaded up the case and drove back home. Got home at @ 11:00pm! What a day!

Since then. Called Joe. He no longer dips the cases. Did a bunch of research and think I found a way. Will update at a later time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Can you have it Soda or Walnut blasted and then alodine treated instead of dipping?
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Very cool Jim. The forward bearing on the input shaft, was it a roller or ball bearing? And what did you replace it with? The Ball was used to around 57, and then replaced w the roller style. All I could find was the ball, but supposedly they are interchangeable. The first gear teeth on that input shaft look nice! Usually they are wrecked..
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Very cool Jim. The forward bearing on the input shaft, was it a roller or ball bearing? And what did you replace it with? The Ball was used to around 57, and then replaced w the roller style. All I could find was the ball, but supposedly they are interchangeable. The first gear teeth on that input shaft look nice! Usually they are wrecked..

Really cool! And always have a great time being in his shop! Reminds me of the place I worked in.

All of the bearings in this are ball bearings. 2 of them are NOS and the other 2 are current runs. The diff bearings are NOS, as well. Bushings are from my old stash pile and a few from WW. 2nd gear Hub is NOS.

That mainshaft is sooooo PRETTY. Thankfully Scott and his crew could repair the rusty spots where the input shaft seal lip rides, or I would still be buying transmissions!

I want this transmission to be as stock as when it left the plant. Scott was not happy about hearing that. He gets his kicks building “built” boxes! But he and I were having fun! It was a bummer leaving his place due to the case corrosion. I will be returning soon. Just got to find a metal finisher that can play with Magnesium and Chromate, in Southern California.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

When I did the bearings in my transmission I could not get that circlip of for love nor money. I ended up taking it to a machine shop and getting them to replace both bearings for me. I was defeated. Don't happen often.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

When I did the bearings in my transmission I could not get that circlip of for love nor money. I ended up taking it to a machine shop and getting them to replace both bearings for me. I was defeated. Don't happen often.

Don

It started with Scott, taking his awesome looking pair of circlip pliers, over to the mainshaft and; trying, several times, to get the circlip to open up and disengage the groove. I then joined in for another round. We were both outwitted. Then his employee walked over (after watching for a bit and laughing) and got involved. It was kind of funny being a party to 3 grown men, all working together, with both hands to remove this circlip! I have never been in a situation like that, for such a simple thing. It was a solid 7 minutes of using 2 picks, a set of circlip pliers and a couple flat bladed screwdrivers, to get that damn thing off! So weird. It would have made for a great picture! Too bad my hands were busy.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

It is the same deal with the little circlip that holds the pinion on the early 6v starter. It must be hardened, and doesn't have any real good way to get a hold on it..
I got lucky with the mainshaft clip when I did the trans on my 56. I got the pick under the end on the second try, and I knew how lucky I was.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Nice updates Jimmy! I been away from the Ovals too long. Keep 'em coming!
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I'm glad I'm not alone with that mainshaft lockring. I keep it in an ashtray on my bench as a reminder that there is the occasional victory.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
It is the same deal with the little circlip that holds the pinion on the early 6v starter. It must be hardened, and doesn't have any real good way to get a hold on it..
I got lucky with the mainshaft clip when I did the trans on my 56. I got the pick under the end on the second try, and I knew how lucky I was.

That little circlip is a bitch and good luck if it does get loose from the shaft and grow wings! At least there is always another starter motor laying around!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Nice updates Jimmy! I been away from the Ovals too long. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks Steve! I am trying. Lots of plates are spinning right now. Life just keeps dishing and I keep spinning! Funny how it comes in 3s!

You need an Oval!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

RustPatch wrote:
I'm glad I'm not alone with that mainshaft lockring. I keep it in an ashtray on my bench as a reminder that there is the occasional victory.

I love trophies! I have a whole shelf full of them, that can never be shown! Lots of visual reminders of hard lessons. Helps to keep me humble.

Thanks for checking in on me!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
You need an Oval!

Yes! If I don't die in this Bus first! 😆
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Glad to see an update Jim.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Glad to see an update Jim.

Thanks man! It had been a bit. Business has been BOOMING! I am working right about 55 hours a week right now. Money is AWESOME but my life is taking a beating. I am down to going to the brewery one day a week!

But I did get up to MCM to start in on that transmission. I just need a few days to get the shit together for the return trip back up there, to finish it!

Trying to find someone locally to tank the transmission case in DOW9. But it has been difficult to find someone. Might be sending the trans case back up to Scott. Talked to him and he has someone that can tank the case! I just need a day or so to figure it all out. Ahhhhhhhhh!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Page 84 of 87

Jump to: