Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug hand crank starting features
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

im working on a 51 bug , body is off the pan so i cant test the fit ....here is my hand crank . i bought this decades ago . just trying to confirm its for a bug not a bus ????? i think the length is the only difference ?

the longest section here is around 19 inches ....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

zwitter uk posted this a couple of years ago...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

Thanks Finster , the 51 CM section equals 20 inches so i think m good Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

how does the hub piece attach?
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

thats a hand crank crankshaft pulley nut . the one shown is just a extra one here shown for reference , there is one already installed on my motor ...... there is an original hole in my rear apron , and a support piece on the rear bumper to line it all up ......then the rear engine breast plate has a little door to open that allows the the hand crank in .......i have never done it but have all the parts to do so .... looking forward to that day Smile
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

thanx!
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

here is the support part i got that attaches to the SPLIT only grooved rear bumper from Mika .

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1332624

my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

i have had the 51 for over 30 years , dis assembled it and have been gathering parts ever since ... i have made a few mistakes along the way buying the wrong part ......here is an example , i bought this rear hand crank bumper bracket decades ago , seller said it was for splits so i bought it ........well its for the next generation bumper not a grooved bumper , this one matches the curve of the later bumper perfectly ........... so one is for splits and the other is for zwitter and later bugs with the new style bumper . the split style sits on top of the bumper and the oval style goes inside the bumper . either way you need to drill holes .......

i imagine there is a different bracket for a bus bumper ? i have seen videos of bugs being hand crank started but i have not seen it done with a bus ?

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

quote - I have seen videos of bugs being hand crank started but i have not seen it done with a bus ?

it's all out there somewhere...

Link

the bus handle does look to be shorter than the beetle one.
I remember being instructed not to wrap my thumb around the starter handle and keep an open palm. the engine might kick back and your thumb can be dislocated.

my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

this is what started me down this rabbit hole . the hole looks factory to me as the latch bracket is just a bit above the hole like it was welded on after the hole was done ???

my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

thanks for sharing the bus video , i guess a bus doesnt need the extra bumper bracket piece ...
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

my3bugs wrote:
thanks for sharing the bus video , i guess a bus doesnt need the extra bumper bracket piece ...

On a Bus the rear apron supports it as it's double-walled.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

finster wrote:
quote - I have seen videos of bugs being hand crank started but i have not seen it done with a bus ?

it's all out there somewhere...
the bus handle does look to be shorter than the beetle one.
I remember being instructed not to wrap my thumb around the starter handle and keep an open palm. the engine might kick back and your thumb can be dislocated.

a friend of mine in germany used to start his 52 split by jacking up one side and putting it in 3rd gear, and just turning the wheel. Not sure if there is video of that. no cell phones in the 90s......

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

that's a faff of a job, messing with jacks and all. there is a youtube of an aussie guy demonstrating it but the video jumps suspiciously from him pushing the rear wheel around to the car suddenly running with him out of shot Laughing . I started my oval using a strap around the dynamo pully as a cord start - a lot easier.

FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

Link

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hand crank starting features Reply with quote

he doesnt have the rear bumper support piece to keep it lined up better .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: