Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Custom German Look
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Back on jackstands for a few days to pull heads and install new pushrod tubes and seals. The removable apron sure makes engine removal/install so much easier.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Was close to putting the loaner motor back in and log some miles this weekend until this happened.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Bummer, broke normally or over torqued?

I broke one once by hopping a little on a long breaker bar Embarassed
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Bummer, broke normally or over torqued?

I broke one once by hopping a little on a long breaker bar Embarassed

Not sure……was using a Northern Tool 1/2” impact rated up to 600ft/lbs. It was suggested that the hammer affect of an impact could cause this if overdone. I’ve used impacts b4…this is the 1st time I’ve snapped a gland nut. The cross section on the gland nut indicates it’s cast rather than forged.
Perhaps a good thing….better a gland nut than the threads in a factory forged crank.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Just finished polishing paint and getting ready to apply a ceramic wax.

Also thinking about putting a black wrap on the bumpers to compare with the painted bumpers.

Removed the rectangular motorcycle mirrors because they wouldn’t articulate enough to be useful and replaced them with 1st gen Mazda Miata mirrors painted flat black.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Applied PlastiDip black matt paint to my bumpers to compare to the painted bumpers

Used a thin coat of black silicone between body & fenders rather the standard black beading.

kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Applied PlastiDip black matt paint to my bumpers to compare to the painted bumpers

Looks awesome! I vote for the black bumpers.

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Used a thin coat of black silicone between body & fenders rather the standard black beading.

Did you use saran wrap or something on one side or are the fenders glued on now?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
DerrickfromNC1 wrote:

Looks awesome! I vote for the black bumpers.

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:

Did you use saran wrap or something on one side or are the fenders glued on now?

Fenders are bolted on like stock. I used thin 1/2” flexible tape to outline the fender and body leaving only the exposed area that I wanted to apply the silicone. I then used my finger to follow & smooth the silicone along the seam. It looks messy until you pull the tape up. Have a bucket of soapy water on hand for cleanup.

I like the matt black bumpers also. No need to sand and repaint
….the plasti-dip rattle can paint works just fine.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Seats gotta go!

I might as well be sitting on a block of wood. I didn’t anticipate that with the combination of the lowered suspension and the 18” low profile tires that the seats I have installed with very little padding would make for such an uncomfortable road car. Every bump, peddle, etc is amplified thru the seat of the pants.
Going to have to find either a set of stock seats or purchased some SCAT Procar seats, and some more VW gti material Sad .

Also you have to be child to be able to get behind the seats and roll cage bar to do something as simple as clean the back glass.

“2 Steps Forward 1 Step Back”
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

I like these mo' better than Scats. Start at $759 for a pair.
https://corbeau.com/sport-seat/?gad_source=1&g...CMEALw_wcBá
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Gradually driving farther from home and faster as I get used to it after sitting on jackstands stands for over 20yrs. Cruised down the highway at 65mph without issue listening for any kind of rubbing, rattle, or metallic sounds that would cause concern.
Got a big piece of 2” foam between me and these hard ass seats to make the ride bearable.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: