Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

prosthetics
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
This is a cringeworthy thread for me. It's like pokin' my PTSD with a sharpened stick. Rolling Eyes

I commented the other day, "How many bullets have you dodged in your lifetime?" A wise old Samba member commented, "All of them. Except that last one." Or something like that.

I have a couple motorcycle buddies who hyper- extended their arms in motorcycle accidents. Net result is nerve damage and loss of motor control. It's a somewhat common injury. I almost knocked my left arm off in an accident 50 years ago. Still have full motor control accompanied by a bit of pain. I can handle the pain.

I ran multi- station presses when I worked for Chrysler. I reckon I had 1500 opportunities for a really nasty accident per shift. I count to ten on my fingers and I thank my lucky stars every day. Several of my co- workers weren't as lucky.

For anyone who is going to use a table saw, consider the Bosch REAXX table saw. Yeah, it's expensive. Fingers are priceless.

Any idea how to help the Calvinater?
I have a prosthetic but it’s not the same issue as his. I looked into it for Calvinater but my bro who used to design limbs couldn’t give me a great answer different then searching the internet.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is any help for Calvinater, but maybe contact this Finger Prosthesis Group and see what they recommend.
https://www.medicalartresources.com/fingerhand

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Any idea how to help the Calvinater?
I have a prosthetic but it’s not the same issue as his. I looked into it for Calvinater but my bro who used to design limbs couldn’t give me a great answer different then searching the internet.

I've designed and built motorcycles that are essentially prosthetics. Building a motorcycle adapted for one handed use isn't exceedingly difficult.

But, oh man. Cal did a number on that hand.

One of my amputee buddies has been missing his right arm since he was 19. At first it was difficult to watch him butter his toast or lace his boots. Since then he's figured things out and adapted. For example he can pick me up by my nose one handed because one hand is all he's got. He can throw a bowling ball with so many revs he can toss it down the gutter. It will climb out.

He has various interchangeable tool holders that mount to his prosthesis. He's pure hell with a hammer and chisel. He can wail on a chisel without fear of whacking his good hand.

Cal has an intact left hand. Unless his pics are in selfie mode it looks like he messed up his right hand. I view this not so much as a prosthetics project as a rehab project. Right hand is messed up? Use the left hand. Don't use the damaged hand at all for a while (longer). It will likely detract from training the left hand. It may feel like the suck of all suck at first but eventually he'll overcome it. Bear in mind people with traumatic brain injuries learn to walk and talk again. One intact brain and one intact hand is more than some people have to work with.

I have a "Plan B" but I would try to train my left hand first.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

For anyone who is going to use a table saw, consider the Bosch REAXX table saw. Yeah, it's expensive. Fingers are priceless.

Sawstop has been making this style of saw for a couple decades now. I guess maybe the patent ran out or Bosch is paying for rights to use it.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Crushed my right index finger just past the first knuckle back when I turned 50. Others in the plant welcomed me into the 9-1/2 club. I told everyone that "if I only lose one finger every 50 years, I have just enough". You will find a way to do everything you need to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

you might want to contact these guys, https://www.youtube.com/@PerkinsBuilderBrothers
jamie perkins had an incident, l think with a planer, and lost a few digits, he has a prosthetic, which allows him to carry on his career as a builder.
l believe he is very invested in promoting the company that designed his prosthetic.
don't get him talking though Wink

619 201 0310
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

This is also another company I am aware of. https://hangerclinic.com/prosthetics/upper-limb/hand-or-partial-hand/
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Update

went to Biomedics yesterday, made a mold of whats left of my hand.

sending it out to have a custom set up.

Fingers crossed ( pun intended) this may result in being able to pull a trigger ( screw gun, chain saw , circular saw, 45 ACP ,) what have you.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Update

went to Biomedics yesterday, made a mold of whats left of my hand.

sending it out to have a custom set up.

Fingers crossed ( pun intended) this may result in being able to pull a trigger ( screw gun, chain saw , circular saw, 45 ACP ,) what have you.

Good news. Let us know how it works out.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Is it too soon for......

I know a Forum member with a wooden hand named Cal?

Question Question Question
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Is it too soon for......

I know a Forum member with a wooden hand named Cal ?

What is the name of his other hand? Confused
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Is it too soon for......

Ta -dum, Crash!
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Is it too soon for......

Ta -dum, Crash!

That's just rude. I was very poorly raised but I suggest zipping your fly or tying your shoes one- handed before making fun of someone's misfortune.

For the record my right hand is Rosie and my left hand is Buster. Twisted Evil

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: prosthetics Reply with quote

Sally palm and Mary Fist
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: