Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear view camera
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Rear view camera Reply with quote

I have a riot with rear fenders wider than my mirror view and it's hard to see behind.
I'm thinking about after market rear view camera with display screen setting just in front of floor shifter or hung on the bottom of the dash in about the same area. The riot has no top and I'm concerned about being able to see screen in sun light. Anyone have any ever done anything like this with success?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

I used a set of Harley Davidson Long Stem mirrors to get them high enough to see. Add a rear view mirror on the windshield and you will have a good view.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

I just mounted my mirrors high on windshield like clonebug....

Putting a screen that isn't going to show to well in daylight down low only means you are going to take your eyes off the road.... If nothing hits you in the rear, why do you have to see behind you (except for maybe approaching emergency vehicles).......

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

desi2960 wrote:
... I'm concerned about being able to see screen in sun light ...

You could build (or find a pre-built) visor to block the sun. I used fiberglass to create a visor over my dash mounted music player smartphone screen:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

Good tunes, nice idea, thanks
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

We got a license plate frame camera and screen. It works pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

When I turn my head about 100 degrees to the left and 100 degrees to the right there are no blind spots in my field of view. I do have an inside mirror. So far the po-po have never bothered me about the lack of an outside mirror (since 1992).
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
When I turn my head about 100 degrees to the left and 100 degrees to the right there are no blind spots in my field of view. I do have an inside mirror. So far the po-po have never bothered me about the lack of an outside mirror (since 1992).

DITTO
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

desi2960 wrote:
I have a riot with rear fenders wider than my mirror view and it's hard to see behind.
I'm thinking about after market rear view camera with display screen setting just in front of floor shifter or hung on the bottom of the dash in about the same area. The riot has no top and I'm concerned about being able to see screen in sun light. Anyone have any ever done anything like this with success?

In addition to my buggy, I have a Slingshot and the dash mounted screen is about useless during the day. However, I have a Garmin GPS with back up camera. I use it as you mentioned at floor level and everything behind me is very clear.
I rely on my backup camera because a medical condition doesn't allow me to turn my head like I used to.

I suggest trying the Garmin approach. You can buy a used unit for less than $75 and the camera is about $35. Cheap enough....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear view camera Reply with quote

Due to arthritis my head does not turn like it used to either. I depend heavily on all three mirrors in any car I drive. I also had to get rid of the progressive lenses in my eye glasses for the same reason. The progressives limit your peripheral vision badly. The rear view mirror on the top of the windshield on our Buggy is the best addition for this. I find the side mirrors tend to vibrate a lot on the road blurring your vision in them.

Most back up cameras I have seen are very limited in distance either from quality of image or the "fish eye" effect they have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: