Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

for whatever reason i cannot swipe & highlight the list. maybe from the original source you could. copy the list, go to Google Translate, and paste it.

then use auto-detect in its box, and English in the other.

https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&op=translate

i don't see why it wouldn't work.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

my3bugs wrote:
i have a 51 bug so im trying to make a tool kit correct for a 51 bug . i cant read German to understand some of this list . any help would be appreciated .

this is from the 51 owners manual in the samba technical section . there is no English version there .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Google translation of that image:

Google is not always accurate.
I'm not sure why this came out as 2 tool bags but maybe both the toolkit bag and the jack bag?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

I would say the first tool pocket is probably for the jack and the second is the tool roll
1 fan belt
1 tool pocket
1 tool roll
1 spare wheel complete with tyre and innertube
etc

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

thanks for the translation Smile ya i think the 2nd bag is the jack bag too . pretty sure the SOCKET WRENCH is the 14mm socket ..... ill add a lug nut to my kits , i had seen some with it ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

here is my most recent kit . a 5 and 1 pocket green canvas . i was hoping it would go nicely with a green canvas jack bag i have . i de rusted and cleaned this fabric all up ....... bet here is more of what im showing , someone here said to keep fan belt in the pocket , i put one in and it fits .........then some one said they thought the jack bag pocket was to keep the took kit in ???

Hmmmm oh it wont fit in that pocket i thought , but it does , it fits pretty nicely in n out ......... the complete tool kit fits in that pocket ...i can thro the fan belt in the big pocket .........i has hoping these two pieces would go well together ..

sorry the one pic is so washed out but it shows the took kit over the pocket to see size ....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

help me out here if im wrong . looking over BUG owners manuals the 36mm generator wrench was only included in the kits thru 1954 ? thats what i see ? dont know if the BUS kits were the same ?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

Good question and I don't know when it officially ended.

Buses list it through the July, 1957 Bus Owner's manual on the site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

i have had my eye on this canvas here in thesamba classifieds at least a few years . i talked to Corey the seller about it and he cleaned it up some but it still sat in the classifieds .... well i broke down and bought it .........it was UGLY !!! so i gave it my best de rust n detergent hand wash i could TWICE !!! you can actually see some blue n green in it now Smile

its a 4 and 2 pocket so oval time period . the tool rod is repo for the time being . hub cap puller is new but the rest are all period original tools ....

here is how i got it

and after my de rust treatment , its quite a vw treasure in my eyes now .

Last edited by my3bugs on Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

Wow, nice cleanup. I'm impressed.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

Nice work, it looks a lot better.

I'm sure people would like to know what you did to clean it without damaging it.
I think it's easy to mess up the fabric or cause holes while trying to clean it up.

I've heard that steam cleaning can work for seats and headliners, not sure about tool kits but it's similar material so ?
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

nothing too special . i used this same rust stain remover on the green canvas cover i did a week or two back . i used the whole bottle on it , when done soaking after about 1/2 hour i poured it back in the bottle . then i just use DAWN LIQUID dish soap for the final wash in a tub with warm soapy water ......on this most recent one , i did the same treatment TWICE and i used a small nylon brush rubbing on the stains ......the used soapy water was like MUD afterwards .....it could prolly use a 3rd cleaning but i didnt want to harm the fabric and called it good enough ......... i have done something similar to all my fabric tool kit rolls .......

here is the green one before i got started on it .

s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

Dawn is an actual miracle product.
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

i have sold a few over the years , here are my fabric tool kits today ......

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

^Nice!

EverettB wrote:

Which doesn’t make a lot of sense, does it - because the top pulley 36mm nut ended in 55
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
^Nice!

EverettB wrote:

Which doesn’t make a lot of sense, does it - because the top pulley 36mm nut ended in 55

This is a valid point and I'm not sure what else it would be used for.
I wonder if they kept listing it in error?
I've never had an original late 55-57 Bus toolkit to verify the contents.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

Yes, I’m thinking in error
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits Reply with quote

Here are 3 of my original tool rolls
I’m thinking they are:

L>R
59> 4/1 pocket tool roll, Mango bus seat vinyl
56/7 5/1 pocket tool roll, Oval green dotted cloth (Polar Silver)
58/9 4/2 pocket tool roll, Beetle/Ghia green waffle vinyl

The waffle roll has a tie L&R…not both on the left

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: