Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

02 Eurovan engine mounts
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: 02 Eurovan engine mounts Reply with quote

Its time to replace the engine mounts on our 02 EV

I've seen the post here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=780546&highlight=bigfoot_ev , and https://vweurovan.fandom.com/wiki/Engine/Transmission_mounts for replacement

Questions:
The driver side is where I'm hoping for more details - how to access, and remove.

How to press in the bushing on transverse mount

Also, I've read where folks are pouring polyurethane into mounts to stiffen. Is this a good idea for transverse mount, others?

Is kit from europarts-sd solid rubber mounts or hydraulic - they were not sure?

Charles
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Eurovan engine mounts Reply with quote

hcr wrote:

Questions:
The driver side is where I'm hoping for more details - how to access, and remove.

While certainly more difficult than the passenger side, I don't recall it being very involved: remove battery and battery tray to get access from the topside. Remove belly pan and starter to get to access from the bottom end. You'll need to use a jack, cherry picker, engine brace or similar to support the engine while you swap the mount. Other than a few skinned knuckles and polishing up your curse word vocabulary, I don't remember anything special about it.

hcr wrote:
How to press in the bushing on transverse mount

For the one on the bottom of the trans, I got creative with some all thread, hex nuts, various size washers and sockets to make a bearing press to go out with the old and in with the new.
For the pendulum mount itself, you can do something similar to swap the bushing or just buy a new pendulum mount with the bushing already installed.

hcr wrote:
Also, I've read where folks are pouring polyurethane into mounts to stiffen. Is this a good idea for transverse mount, others?

I've heard about poly bushings but not folks pouring poly into regular rubber bushings. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me but not familiar enough with it. Call me skeptical.

hcr wrote:
Is kit from europarts-sd solid rubber mounts or hydraulic - they were not sure?

My recollection is the mounts are rubber but I have a few other vehicles, some use rubber only, some use rubber/hydraulic so don't remember. Europarts-sd is a reputable vendor around here so I'd buy their kit and be on my way.... or shop around for a better price. I recall some mounts that were priced too good to be true and they appeared to be cheap aftermarket knockoffs (made in china, etc.) so I avoided them.
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Eurovan engine mounts Reply with quote

Great- thanks for tips.
I’ll just go slow.

C
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 02 Eurovan engine mounts Reply with quote

Bolt torque specs?
I’ve found a couple of posts re: bolt torque specs, but not clear on this.

Do you need to replace the bolts- some posts say ‘stretch bolts’ need replacement ?

Is there a figure for a 2002 EV that shows bolts and their torque values, I don’t have a Bentley manual?

Sorry for novice questions

C
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 02 Eurovan engine mounts Reply with quote

On most VW mounts I torque the M10 bolts to 45 ft lb and the M12 bolts to 65. I've reused plenty with no issues.
hcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: 02 Eurovan engine mounts Reply with quote

Another question as I think about replacing engine mounts.

With engine supported, for left and right mounts, once I have bolts removed, do I need to lower engine to get old mounts out and new ones in?

Suggestions for where to support engine for passenger side mount?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: