Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front beam bushings??
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vettepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

I am working on an old tube frame VW dune buggy. It has an aftermarket wide front (link pin) beam. It might be a Latest Rage brand??

Anyway, it uses urethane bushings. My plan was to change them and use stock, OEM roller bearings. I do not care for the poly bushings. I even cut apart an old front end to be able to push out the stock bearings. Imagine my surprise to find out the i.d. of the aftermarket beams is slighly too large to use the original bearings!! Bummer!!

Is there a known fix to install better, more durable bushings in these???

Thanks,
Vettepilot
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

I would look for Delrin bushings.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

We have had good luck with the latest rage Delrin bushings part #AC413108DT
Kenric
Vettepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

woodsbuggy wrote:
Kenric

Yeah. Any idea where I could find those??

Thanks!
Vettepilot
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

Vettepilot wrote:
woodsbuggy wrote:
Kenric

Thanks!
Vettepilot

Kar Tek is showing Delrin link pin front bushing sets for $90.

https://www.kartek.com/parts/saco-beveled-delrin-1...-of-4.html
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

Vettepilot wrote:
woodsbuggy wrote:
Kenric

Thanks!
Vettepilot

https://dansperformanceparts.com/latest-rage-413108dt-delrin-6-in-axle-beam-bushings/

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

Looks like Dan's is out of stock but J bugs shows them available. Just google 413108DT,
Kenric
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

I got the red latest rage ones for my warrior beam. They suck! They are misshapen and loose in the beam. I think they work in a stock beam. I am using the karteck delrin bushings next. I just need to measure the diameter of my beam as i dont care to wast more money after the crappy urethane and crappy latest rage red delrins!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

The SACO ones are wicked for the price. I built my beam years ago and I have been all over the U.S. off roading and in my local sand pit jumping a lot, plus 10k miles of commuting and they are still tight as new.

It's worth measuring your beam bushing bore ID to see how bad it is distorted from fabrication. I've seen and fixed some pretty bad ones.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

Crogg wrote:
I got the red latest rage ones for my warrior beam. They suck! They are misshapen and loose in the beam. I think they work in a stock beam. I am using the karteck delrin bushings next. I just need to measure the diameter of my beam as i dont care to wast more money after the crappy urethane and crappy latest rage red delrins!

Delrin comes as rod stock from materials suppliers. Any decent machine shop with a lathe or two can make a set to your specifications... if you know your specifications.

A good lathe operator could make them on a wood lathe.

Vettepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about making up a set on the lathe myself, and McMaster has the delrin stock. But it looks like they are available, and cheap enough that it's not worth my time.

Delrin surely makes some cool rat's nests when you machine it on the lathe!

;~)

Vettepilot
Crogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

Dusty If the red latest rage ones were not loose in the beam i would try to use them. I am also going to purchase the rheemer from Kartek and hope it works for the delrins.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

I went through a few from SACO that didn't fit correctly in my ball joint beam. They were made from cast Delrin, and weren't of very good quality. I ended up buying Delrin and making my own... they came out awesome! If you have a lathe make your own, you'll get the perfect fit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vettepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front beam bushings?? Reply with quote

Well, you've got me thinking/pondering now...

Vettepilot
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: