Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

late model heat exchanger into old style heater box
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: late model heat exchanger into old style heater box Reply with quote

Hi Sambas,

I have a Mexican beetle with the old 1960s style heater boxes. I had to have the engine rebuilt and the heat exchangers were replaced with newer 1970s FI style German heat exchangers. The newer style exchangers produce a LOT more heat and I'm happy. They fit nicely with the newer style 90 flapper value to open/close and fit into the original corrugated plastic tubes and into the heater channels.

Here's the problem: The heater control cable exits under the car in the original 60s position and that won't fit with the control arm on the valve. Has anyone figured out how to control 70s style heaters in a 60s car? I need to connect the 60s heater cable to the 70s valve.

(Our stop gap solution is the fix the heater controls in the 'open/on' position and control the heat using the little vent controls in the front side foot wells. It's not a great solution so I was looking for something better.) Any solutions and suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Sambas.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: late model heat exchanger into old style heater box Reply with quote

Is the heater cable not reaching the lever on the heater box? If so, use a throttle cable extender to add some length.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/3171.html

And use these barrel nuts to attach the cable to the arm: https://www.jbugs.com/product/111129921.html
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: late model heat exchanger into old style heater box Reply with quote

Perfect. Thank you very much!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: