Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just another Ghia tire thread! I know!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Hi- I have a 1971 Ghia with stock wheels. The Ghia is stock not lowered or narrowed etc. I need to buy new tires. NOW…I have read a ton of threads on Ghia tires and there are a ton of opinions. 155’s, larger in the back etc. There are literally 8-10 tires that people are using. Even after reading all of these, I still am undecided on what is best for the car.

Currently, it has 175/65/15’s on it. This size does fit in the front trunk which is what I like. However, they are a little small in diameter which is fine. The speedometer is only a few MPH off which is no problem. Is this size the best size for the car? My car is a nice driver quality car and it is driven, but not an everyday driver. I drive locally to the store and just cruising around…not in the rain if I can help it.

Thanks all.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Reimenizer wrote:
Is this size the best size for the car?

That's a matter of opinion. It's like asking what's the best color for a car, or what's the best oil to use.
If you like the size you already have, get them again. If there's something you don't like about them, try a different size/brand/composition. There are so many tire options, that there's no way to say what's best. Only what's best for you and your driving style, which only you can answer through the experience of trying different options. I'm personally pretty picky about tires, but that's because I know what I like, and those preferences might not suit someone else.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Hi Era- Yeah I get it. The only thing I do not like about the tires on it is they seem harsh. It might be that they are 11 years old and hard as a rock. The tires do look a little small on the car, but not bad. The tires are not safe for sure.

I was considering moving up to a higher sidewall to make it ride better? I was just concerned about rubbing and front storage. The old tires might just be making it ride like a truck. I do like the tire in terms of handling and stability.

I appreciate the reply.

Last edited by Reimenizer on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

After the tires are on I’ll see how it rides. It literally rides like a truck now. I know these are not smooth riding cars, but my beetle rode much better. Not sure what it had on it since it was many years ago.

It has KYB Excel Gs on it that the PO put on and they are like 10+years old. They are probably ok, but I will see how it does with the tires. That is another quandary…lol.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Reimenizer wrote:
After the tires are on I’ll see how it rides. It literally rides like a truck now. I know these are not smooth riding cars, but my beetle rode much better. Not sure what it had on it since it was many years ago.

It has KYB Excel Gs on it that the PO put on and they are like 10+years old. They are probably ok, but I will see how it does with the tires. That is another quandary…lol.

OEM shocks might offer a better ride. Sachs/Boge is a decent one and offers a comfortable ride.
Tire pressures are important. 18-20 lbs front. 26-28 rear.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Hi King - Ok I’ll check those shocks out. Makes sense since these cars are so light the OEM ones are probably a better match for the weight and better valving.

Thank you.
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Might I suggest the Vredestein Sprint Classic, if you do not need cold-weather tires. If you need snows or cold-weather specific tires you'll need to get a dedicated set or look elsewhere.

I've got `em in 155SR15 (165s were out of stock when I needed tires), so the high sidewalls help with ride quality, and I agree we need as much help in that department as possible. Speedo is accurate every time I pass a radar trailer.

I've got them paired with Koni's set just about a turn and a quarter from full soft up front, turn and a half in back, and push it hard enough through the tight mountain curves to make the carbs flood. It sticks surprisingly well and has never went out of control or allowed me to steer with the throttle, as some of the cheaper 165SR15s I've had in the past have done. They're as confidence-inspiring as any tire I've had, especially on an older vehicle.

Don't take my word for it though, just go on Tire Rack and read the reviews. Take note of what people are putting them on and what they think. Take an even harder look at the negative reviews, what they're driving, where they live, etc. What's their idea of what a good tire is - are they looking for 200,000 mile treadwear or a 10 year lifespan? Are they driving on gravel or lightly maintained back roads? Who the hell knows. Some people are completely unrealistic about what a tire should be and you have to keep that in mind when reading their opinions. Most people love `em though. I sure do.

Good luck
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Hi Rob. Great information, I appreciate it. I have Koni’s on my IROC and like them. For tires I normally replace them sooner. I have been wrenching the Ghia and I think I have it running well. Now it’s tire time. I’ll replace them before the ever where out. I’ll look at Tire Rack. Tires are hard for these cars for all different reasons. I looked at the Vredstein Sprints there and they look good.

I appreciate your input.
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

i put 165/80 15 generic tires on my stock 1970, coupe. they work fine for me, and I have a 165/15 as a spare. it fits, barely. For shocks, I went with KYB air adjust in the rear and KYB G in the front. I like this combo, with the original 1600, they work fine. Tire pressure definitely impacts ride quality so dont over inflate much.
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Kent, yeah the 80 sidewall would be better for ride. My tires are so old like rocks. I think new tires in any size should be an improvement. I just want it to fit I. The trunk and not rub anywhere. With that size you do not have any rubbing?
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

I really like the Vredestein Sprint Classic tire. I have 185/70 in the rear and 175/70 in the front.

Olli
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

The front don't rub, and I had the left rear rub on corners.

I swapped wheels to EMPI Rivieras, which are 5 1/2 inch wide, and a little different offset. The left rear rubbed a tiny bit, to to a prior fender repair. Taking .015 inch off the rear hub of the wheel fixed that problem.

Reimenizer wrote:
Kent, yeah the 80 sidewall would be better for ride. My tires are so old like rocks. I think new tires in any size should be an improvement. I just want it to fit I. The trunk and not rub anywhere. With that size you do not have any rubbing?
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Ok I am going to try the 165/80r15’s. Hope it fits in the trunk and have no rubbing.

I am thinking of doing metal valve stems. I have them on everything right now. My newer cars have them from the factory. Is anyone using them on stock rims? The ones I have gotten are the two size metal stems. Anyone know the hole size in the rim…is it standard? Figured I’d ask.

Thanks,
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Got the Michelin XZX 165/80r15’s. Done.
Reimenizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Just another Ghia tire thread! I know! Reply with quote

Update-

Mounted the new 165/80r15 Michelin xzx tires. Huge difference in ride and quietness. Speedo is spot on. Engine also revs a bit less too. They definitely have a softer sidewall than the 175/65/15’s that came off. That is fine since no tract days are scheduled.

Now to the seats and finish the side moldings. Need to upgrade the stereo and wax it. Nice and close to the summer. Yay.

I appreciate the insight people.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: