Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Assembly Line Pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

1. Hamburg Port, northern Germany, 1952

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

— — —

2. Kiel Port, northern Germany

From Jürgen Klein on FB:

Quote:
Volkswagen shipping to Scandinavia (Norway) from Kiel Harbour across the Baltic Sea. Picture from "Kiel Stadtarchiv / Fotoarchiv".

It could be that these Volkswagens were delivered to the US . The MS Norvard was a norwegian ship and maybe had a stopover in Kiel on the way from Norway to the United States

The US didn’t receive many Barndoor buses, did it. And if they did, it was late on in Barndoor production. These don’t appear to have rear bumpers, so early. I’d have thought it was unlikely these were for US delivery.

Last edited by RockStock on Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

Barndoor Standard, Barndoor number 10,000, February 1951

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

From Jürgen Klein on FB:

Quote:
Volkswagen shipping to Scandinavia (Norway) from Kiel Harbour across the Baltic Sea. Picture from "Kiel Stadtarchiv / Fotoarchiv".

It could be that these Volkswagens were delivered to the US . The MS Norvard was a norwegian ship and maybe had a stopover in Kiel on the way from Norway to the United States

The US didn’t receive many Barndoor buses, did it. And if they did, it was late on in Barndoor production. These don’t appear to have rear bumpers, so early. I’d have thought it was unlikely these were for US delivery.

yes they have 50-52 license lights so probably 1952. Is it possible those images are reversed? otherwise they're all RHD or LH cargo doors, swedish style

USA:

1950 2
1951 50
1952 93
1953 75
1954 827

Canada:

1950 0
1951 0
1952 110
1953 696
1954 730

I would imagine that the US and Canada received vehicles on the same shipments. In the early 1950's all VWs were coming through Max Hoffman in New York or through VW canada LTD in Toronto, which are somewhat near each other from a shipping perspective.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

sled wrote:
RockStock wrote:

From Jürgen Klein on FB:

Quote:

yes they have 50-52 license lights so probably 1952. Is it possible those images are reversed? otherwise they're all RHD or LH cargo doors, swedish style

I was wondering if it was reversed too but the "9" and the other lettering on the building is not reversed so I think they are all LH cargo door Buses.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
sled wrote:
RockStock wrote:
From Jürgen Klein on FB:
Quote:

I was wondering if it was reversed too but the "9" and the other lettering on the building is not reversed so I think they are all LH cargo door Buses.

Cargo door handle always on the right door as you are looking at the doors. The photo is not flopped.

No mirror arm on the side without the steering wheel.

These buses are bound for Sweden.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

^Headed by a primer bus
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

Barndoor inner door pressings

More Keetman
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

More Keetman

Beetle version of the Rockettes.
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

What's with the missing molding on the one in the foreground?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

^ looks like the trim is wrapped up in the trunk

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

finster wrote:
^ looks like the trim is wrapped up in the trunk

Hmm, interesting. Any idea what'd be the reason to do that (making a distributor/dealer do that...)?
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

Delivered in Primer car?
fazeka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Delivered in Primer car?

Did they have dark colored primer back then? Thought it was mainly gray?
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Assembly Line Pics Reply with quote

Definitely yes, there were several different colors of primer used over the years, especially the early years, and in this case 1953. I have portions of a 1951 BD it's a very dark grey primer, my late 52 chassis has a medium slate grey ( also relatively dark) and then there is the lighter grey primer, typically found on NOS spare parts and undercarriage of later buses. There has also oxide brown primer been found on other buses. Since beetles and buses were prduced in Wolfsburg until early 1956, I guess its only natural to see different color primer on oval bugs as well.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going through this thread again to looking for any details on how/when the control tubes were originally installed. These photos show that they were installed before the top hats. I will do the same as it looks much easier.

Also notice they set the floor frame on backwards for the photos. Smile

RockStock wrote:

More chassis

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
notice they set the floor frame on backwards for the photos. Smile

Good spot

— — —

Last edited by RockStock on Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

Conny Barth delivery truck, reverse view

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: