Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jovanybg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

Another gremlin to chase! I hope everything below makes sense:
Have the car for more than 7 years with normal turn signals, but a week ago went to a car meet where a guy pointed to me my right stop light was not working! I swapped the light bulbs from left to right and both worked!
On the way home I found that my turn signal lights are not working either, but the green arrows on the dash were constantly lid with no sound from the relay when turn signal was selected.
So, I've bought 2x hazard light/turn signal relays (made in Italy, not China), mounted it and now have the blinkers working, but all are faster than normal.
I've took the rear light assemblies, checked the cables, disconnected everything, refinished the inner reflective surfaces, reconnected all cables with dielectric grease, changed all the bulbs with brand new ones, even got an additional ground line routed to a good ground point, put everything together and had the same fast blinkers!
Swapped the relay again with the second one I bought, changed the front turn signal bulbs with new ones and tried again - fast blinking turn signals all around!!! Sad
The hazard signal lights are blinking with a normal speed!!!!!!
I am out of ideas!
Any help will be well appreciated!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

Let me know if you find the problem.
Maybe I can recreate it.
Personally, I’d love to have faster blinking turn signals.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

Quote:
I’d love to have faster blinking turn signals

Using 2 prong flashers? 'They' also have 3 prong flashers.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Replacement-Comp...NrPXRydWU=
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jovanybg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
I’d love to have faster blinking turn signals

Using 2 prong flashers? 'They' also have 3 prong flashers.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Replacement-Comp...NrPXRydWU=

I've bought 4-prong relay that I transformed to 3 prongs by connecting two of the prongs together. It is the same set-up as I've used for 7 years with no provlems!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

I’m about to need to tear into mine.
They work, but only when they want to. Yesterday, they didn’t work all day.
Today, a Cop was behind me and they decided to work and worked the rest of the day.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

Quote:
a Cop was behind me and they decided to work

Plan B: Hand signals.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

Try replacing the turn signal switch. I have had all kind of weird problems with my turn signals on my '73 including what you are describing and the turn signal switch was the culprit. It was a replacement (few years old) VDO switch, so I was surprised.

Max
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

I’m suspecting the relay or dirty contacts. I replaced the switch three years ago with an NOS SWF switch and everything was working perfectly until recently.

Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Ghia Fast blinking turn signals Reply with quote

Impedence/working resistance of the bulbs might be screwing with your relay. There are microprocessor-controlled flasher relays that do not rely on circuit impedence to determine flash rate. They're typically found for LED bulb conversions, but they should work for you too.

Pretty cheap too...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: