Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
'40's guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I have a 1967 bus with a 1600 DP, RGBs and a big nut transaxle. The trans was recently rebuilt but I don’t know what the gearing is. The bus has 15” wheels instead of 14”. I have 205/75R15 tires mounted. I have reason to believe the speedometer is accurate. I generally drive around town, and don’t venture onto the freeway, so I am not concerned about how fast the car will go. What bugs me is that I am typically going about 30mph around town and the engine sounds like it wants me to shift from 3rd to 4th. I don’t have a tachometer, but it’s noisy at that speed and sounds like it’s spinning pretty fast. The owner’s manual says 3rd gear is good to 45mph. No way! If I do shift into 4th at that speed it is lugging a bit, so I just put up with it in 3rd.

Here is my question: will I notice a significant difference if I change from my current 205/75R15 tires to 215/75R15 tires? According to the calculators, the 215s turn only 16 revolutions per mile less that the 205s. Will I see any practical difference in RPMs?

Thanks.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

'40's guy wrote:
I have a 1967 bus with a 1600 DP, RGBs and a big nut transaxle. The trans was recently rebuilt but I don’t know what the gearing is. The bus has 15” wheels instead of 14”. I have 205/75R15 tires mounted. I have reason to believe the speedometer is accurate. I generally drive around town, and don’t venture onto the freeway, so I am not concerned about how fast the car will go. What bugs me is that I am typically going about 30mph around town and the engine sounds like it wants me to shift from 3rd to 4th. I don’t have a tachometer, but it’s noisy at that speed and sounds like it’s spinning pretty fast. The owner’s manual says 3rd gear is good to 45mph. No way! If I do shift into 4th at that speed it is lugging a bit, so I just put up with it in 3rd.

Here is my question: will I notice a significant difference if I change from my current 205/75R15 tires to 215/75R15 tires? According to the calculators, the 215s turn only 16 revolutions per mile less that the 205s. Will I see any practical difference in RPMs?

Thanks.

The short answer is no. You will likely not notice a difference in felt RPM with the change in tire size.

The big question is, do you have much VW bus experience? To some folks, they feel like they are screaming at everyday speeds. Cruising around Spokane at 35MPH in third gear will be loud, but not abnormal. If you are on flat ground headed out North Division, you can shift to 4th. If you are climbing Southeast Boulevard up to Trader Joe's, keep it in 3rd.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

agreed. It just is loud. they absolutely go 45 in third. and that is without overreving it.

put a full interior in it and it will quiet down. still same revs, but it won't kill your ears anymore.
maybe the exhaust could use some help too?

if you don't go anywhere on the highway, it may make sense to use a slightly smaller tire that allows you to get in 4th.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

Unlikely, but it could have the 'mountain gear' ratio reduction boxes. That might effect shifting points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'40's guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I appreciate this good feedback. Thank you all for responding.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I’ve posted these before, no rubbing or issues. My SC isn’t a speed demon, but these take me everywhere.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
'58 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I might as well contribute in trying to keep this thread up to date. My Cooper Discoverers in 195R15 are way past due for replacing (44th week, 2006 date code). They have been an excellent tire in that they took me everywhere and never let me down.

Not many to choose from in the US in 195R15... Linglong, Thunderer, Otani, Westlake, Cosmo. The last one I looked into a little closer. Cosmo appears to be a US family owned company that's been around since 1942. The Cosmo El Jefe Van II comes in 195R15. Curious if anyone has run them yet? They are fairly inexpensive at $82 each.

https://cosmotires.com/product/el-jefe-van-ii/

...but then I see Larmo's last post and dammit, those BFG all terrains in 215/75R15 sure do look nice...

Larmo63 wrote:
I’ve posted these before, no rubbing or issues. My SC isn’t a speed demon, but these take me everywhere.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

'58 Single Cab wrote:
I might as well contribute in trying to keep this thread up to date. My Cooper Discoverers in 195R15 are way past due for replacing (44th week, 2006 date code). They have been an excellent tire in that they took me everywhere and never let me down.

Not many to choose from in the US in 195R15... Linglong, Thunderer, Otani, Westlake, Cosmo. The last one I looked into a little closer. Cosmo appears to be a US family owned company that's been around since 1942. The Cosmo El Jefe Van II comes in 195R15. Curious if anyone has run them yet? They are fairly inexpensive at $82 each.

https://cosmotires.com/product/el-jefe-van-ii/

If that is a current pic of your Coopers, and that is how much wear/driving time they have had since you put them on when the date codes were fresh, don't bother getting new tires. They will be fine.

If you plan to drive 10K miles on hot summer freeways, then get new ones.
'58 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

That pic is from today. I put less than 1000 miles on it per year. It's stored inside a windowless garage that is typically between 60 and 80 deg F all year long. I mounted them when they were brand new.

We hear horror stories of tire failures but I agree with you. Those failures are probably missing key details of how the tires were not taken proper care of.

cdennisg wrote:

If that is a current pic of your Coopers, and that is how much wear/driving time they have had since you put them on when the date codes were fresh, don't bother getting new tires. They will be fine.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

'58 Single Cab wrote:
That pic is from today. I put less than 1000 miles on it per year. It's stored inside a windowless garage that is typically between 60 and 80 deg F all year long. I mounted them when they were brand new.

We hear horror stories of tire failures but I agree with you. Those failures are probably missing key details of how the tires were not taken proper care of.

cdennisg wrote:

I believe it's when the sidewalls are cracked from age and/or sun exposure.

This is really common here in AZ.

I see people with shredded tires all the time and I had a couple Coker Tire Continentals 6.40x15s rot out in a few years when my Bus was outside a lot more.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
'58 Single Cab wrote:

cdennisg wrote:

I believe it's when the sidewalls are cracked from age and/or sun exposure.

This is really common here in AZ.

I see people with shredded tires all the time and I had a couple Coker Tire Continentals 6.40x15s rot out in a few years when my Bus was outside a lot more.

Often times a tire failure due to age cannot be seen easily. They may show no outward signs of deterioration at all. But, in this situation, knowing well these tries were made, and how little this vehicle is driven, and then with the info of how the vehicle is stored, I would have no issue continuing to drive on them for many years to come.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" Radial Tires - Sizes and Vendors Reply with quote

I was having trouble finding any tire shop to supply 205 75 15 radials for my 66 bus. Finally, I went to the tire companies, found a tire of the right size and load range (1609 pounds max), looked up the company's local contacts, and had that store order me the tires. They are Hankook Kinergy. They look OK; haven't got them mounted yet. That's the next step: finding a tire shop that will deal with 15 inch VW rims.
I had Cooper Discovers of the same size and load range that have served me well for 7 years. They probably have several thousand miles left but I am contemplating another long trip and do not want to run out of rubber while travelling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Jump to:
Page 31 of 31

Jump to: