Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ISP 120 speedo + tach wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: ISP 120 speedo + tach wiring Reply with quote

So I'm helping a friend wire this thing up and the instructions are obviously a product of a generic google translator. I'm having some problems with the flasher logic. It has a bit of WTF to it that is making me scratch my head.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the black wire goes to battery. Does that mean key positive or straight to the battery? That doesn't make sense. And then the other goes to the key positive or the flasher relay (49a)? The text to it is confusing too as you wouldn't ever connect both the striped green/white with black/white.

Any ideas?

Also the highbeam wiring seems to be simple but its not working soooo I'll figure that out next.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: ISP 120 speedo + tach wiring Reply with quote

I'm thinking wire #15 (key-switch on) for the flasher circuit. The diodes only allow a signal from one direction to light the LED, blocks the voltage from 'crossing over' to the other side. IMO the LED will not provide enough 'excitement' to get a charge out of the gen/alt. For the headlights. Connect the LED to hi-beams and the other wire to ground.

I use a LED for my hi-beam indicator also. Too bright, then used some inline resistors to dim it enough. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ISP 120 speedo + tach wiring Reply with quote

It's been a while since I wired mine ... and I've slept since then but from what I remember, I wired mine as follows:

Gen, oil pressure & blinker positive (colored wires) grouped together and connected to 12V at fuse box (same terminal as 12V for stock speedo)

Gen black to gen wire

Oil black to pressure switch

Blinker black to flasher relay

high beam blue to 12v high beam source on fuse box,

high beam black to ground (I used speedo securing bolt).

If you notice, you end up with 5 connections (same connections as stock) speedo plus the high beam ground and the bulb for gauge lighting.

Also, the high beam LED is much dimmer than the others.

Hope that helps
Ronneisha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: ISP 120 speedo + tach wiring Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
So I'm helping a friend wire this thing up and the instructions are obviously a product of a generic google translator. I'm having some problems with the flasher logic. It has a bit of WTF to it that is making me scratch my head.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the black wire goes to battery. Does that mean key positive or straight to the battery? That doesn't make sense. And then the other goes to the key positive or the flasher relay (49a)? The text to it is confusing too as you wouldn't ever connect both the striped green/white with black/white.

Any ideas?

Also the highbeam wiring seems to be simple but its not working soooo I'll figure that out next.

Installing ISP Speedo. Can you explain in detail how you wired yours up. Did you use the in-line incandescent bulb came with. All the background lights are wired up and working. The rest is confusing
wynsgti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: ISP 120 speedo + tach wiring Reply with quote

I know this post is a few years old. I recently purchased ISP gauges for my bug. I have to say that this is the worst wiring diagram I ever seen. The person who drawn up and wrote this wiring diagram should have their crayons taken away.
I really do like the way these gauges look but as far as the wiring end of it is crap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: