Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrahmanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

Hi, I've been thinking about switching from Solex to EFI for my 74 BIG for a while now. I've been driving my 74 daily for about 8 years now. Due to the high fuel prices in Europe for a while now, I've started looking for an EFI. It could be a factory EFI or a Holley Sniper 1100. I just wonder, is it worth doing this? I drive almost more than 50.000 km annually all over Europe. I have been researching for a few days and everyone says something different. Some are in favor of FI and some of Solex. I am really confused. I am waiting for your suggestions.

Regards...
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

I've been studying this for 30 years or so. It all started with a '63 I bought in Turkey. I simply drove it away when it unloaded off the boat. I made it from NYC to the Canadian border on one tank of fuel.

I still have the "miracle" motor in my barn exactly like it was. I wasn't interested in an old 40 horse back then even if it made 50+ mpg.

Part of the trick is a small motor that's tuned. Everything has to be spot on. You need the right cam, compression ratio set to match the cam, a little clean- up work in the heads and perhaps most important, a small tube merged exhaust.

Let's see, a couple hundred for a merged exhaust or fifty bucks if I buy one already rusty at a swap meet.

Then there's the Holley fuel injection. I'm frugal so I get no further than the $900- plus price tag. Nope. Not for me. Effectively it's an electronic carburetor without many of not most of the advantages of modern fuel injection.

You might laugh and point but I like the old Solex 28PCI carburetor as found on U.S. market 36 horse engines. If nothing else a fifty buck swap meet carburetor saves me almost $1000 over the Holley fuel injection.

Hopefully you have a European 1300 in your '74. Use the money you save to freshen up your motor if not rebuild it entirely. Your motor should get 25mpg stock. Convert my target to liters per k if you must.

If it's running properly you should be able to get it over 30 and maybe as high as 35mpg by swapping to the smaller carburetor and a free flowing exhaust. A slight flycut on the heads and a cam swap would get you there for sure.

This thing is pure alchemy:

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1179.htm

We're talkin' 1904cc, 90hp and almost 40mpg. Impossible but they figured it out. It's expensive especially if you have it shipped to Europe but you don't have to. Then nice people at CB gave you a parts list. The important parts are:

The 2228 gas saver special grind cam. This combination isn't going to happen without it.

The interesting parts are the 74mm crank and 5.5" custom rods. That's an easy way to dial in the compression ratio. It gets complicated if you deviate from their parts list.

They should include a merged header with their parts kit. It just works better.

They got close to 40mpg using dual Weber 34ICT carbs and a merged exhaust. Dual carburetors can work better and can be more economical than single carburetors.

You can keep some of you money in your pocket if you source most of your parts in Europe. Don't tell CB Performance I said that. You might get by ordering the 2228 cam from CB and buying everything else in the EU.

I would be interested in three changes to CB's Gas Saver kit:

Use stock 1.1 to 1 rockers arms instead of aftermarket 1.25 to 1.

Build it as a high compression 1300.

Or:

Build it as a tuned 1600.

Last edited by Dusty1 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes I'd explore the Mexican FI system, I have no idea about the fuel economy, but it's simple, fairly modern and not hard to find parts for.

Avoid the Sniper, single point systems don't work on flat air cooleds.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If I was in your shoes I'd explore the Mexican FI system, I have no idea about the fuel economy, but it's simple, fairly modern and not hard to find parts for.

Which means the stock FI system found in '75 and up Bugs doesn't work.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Which means the stock FI system found in '75 and up Bugs doesn't work.

Works fine, it's port injection, the sniper is throttle body. But the L-jet is getting difficult to find some parts for, not impossible, if you don't mind a small challenge it's no problem.

Lots of reading on the sniper here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

Many believe the late 1970s Bosch L-Jet FI has a “digital computer” ECU. But that’s not correct. The ECU is an analog control board. Inherent with analog control is “single state.” In other words, the analog ECU basically does one thing. Its ability to adapt is very limited. And that’s why L-Jet has thermo/time/vacuum/pressure systems that step in to help during cold start and deceleration (AAR, CSV, TTS, Decel valve, Fuel pressure regulator).

Busdaddy is referring to the next generation of Bosch FI with a true digital computer ECU. This is the Bosch DIGIFANT FI system. Because the ECU is smart and multi-state adaptive, many of the complex thermo/time/pressure helper systems are no longer needed.
BrahmanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses. I know that Holley is a modernized version of the 90-20's injection system. I realize that technically it works well, but I am an originalist and I am in favor of it. Does the Mexican FI' system have an electronic ECU system like the ones used today? I am confused again... There is a Mexican injection system (or something similar) on a website called DUBSHOP and there seems to be an ECU, Crank Trigger etc parts next to it. Especially the fact that it also controls the timing is an exciting feature, but the original Mexican FI still has a physical distributor. What are your thoughts on this kit?

Regards...
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

BrahmanS wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. I know that Holley is a modernized version of the 90-20's injection system. I realize that technically it works well, but I am an originalist and I am in favor of it. Does the Mexican FI' system have an electronic ECU system like the ones used today? I am confused again... There is a Mexican injection system (or something similar) on a website called DUBSHOP and there seems to be an ECU, Crank Trigger etc parts next to it. Especially the fact that it also controls the timing is an exciting feature, but the original Mexican FI still has a physical distributor. What are your thoughts on this kit?

Regards...

My point of reference was the Bosch K Jetronic fuel injection on my '78 Rabbit. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. Bosch sensor plate FI as first used on VW watercooled is K Jet?

The original 1.5l- 1.6l watercooled fuel injected had distributor ignition, no computer near as I can tell which means closed loop reference for the computer wasn't necessary. It made enough power I easily towed my '67 Bug home with my '79 Dasher.

I had a few VWs back then.

My experience with the '75 and up fuel injection on Bugs was tearing it off. Judging by the number of late convertibles I see sporting carburetors, that's what you did back then.

I think adapting fuel injection to an old flat four is generally a bad idea. You're lacking mechanical resources to make it work. No knock sensor, no crank triggered ignition, no oxygen sensor, no pulse width modulation... tuner guys, I know I left a few things out.

First you need to trade a big stack of Euros for a stack of parts. Then you have to tune it.

The Holley system is essentially an electronic carburetor. I expect it won't work any better than an old Solex.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth switch Carb to Fuel Injection? Reply with quote

It's all about the math.

If your carbs are tuned correctly, you will not see any huge gains in MPG or performance by switching to EFI. You will not gain more than 1 or 2 MPG with EFI, in fact you may not see any increase in fuel milage switching to EFI. Simply divide out the cost of the new system you are interested in getting with fuel cost savings at 2 MPG and see how many miles you will have to drive to offset the cost.

In the long run no it is not worth the cost of the new EFI system if all you are worried about is better fuel milage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: