Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New MC no pedal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: New MC no pedal Reply with quote

Helping a friend install a new German brake master cylinder. 69 Beetle. We replaced all rubber lines including the reservoir to MC supply lines and wheel lines. The shoes on all four wheels are adjusted to a slight drag. Filled reservoir and waited a few minutes. Pedal will only pump up to about 1 1/2 inches. I bleed out both rears even with that short stroke, but it doesn’t move much fluid.

When you depress the pedal slowly, it clicks, a move of about 1/2” which I assume to be the critical pushrod gap then little resistance until about 1 1/2” to the stop.

I did not bench bleed the MC so maybe I need to bleed the MC in the car?

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: New MC no pedal Reply with quote

Howdy ...

Brakes need to have BOTH shoes adjusted tight to drums on all wheels before bleeding, fronts first if dual circuit.

Proper pushrod adjustment is critical as well.

You got this ... stay safe

jinx

PS :
Back about 2017 I had to bleed the MC in car to get a firm pedal. I used the "in" fittings on top of MC while in car with old towel under to catch drips.

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New MC no pedal Reply with quote

Thanks, jinks758.

In this MC replacement, I did not precharge the MC. Likewise, I did not remove the pedal assembly so I did not adjust the stop plate, but the pedals seem about right at rest. I’ll check that measurment and check stop plate placement, as per Bentley.

All MC threads either say bench bleed or gravity bleed. Seems like gravity bleeding by opening all wheel bleeders and letting it run will net me paintless wheels. I suppose I could use 4 hoses and 4 bleed jars.

All established sources say leave the pushrod adjustment as is. Don’t touch that mofo. Then some threads say go ahead adjust it.

This is my plan. 1. Gravity bleed at wheels, all bleeders open. 2. Lock up all brake shoes. 3. Adjust the stop plate. 4. Check the actual critical 1 mm gap. 5. Begin the wheel bleeding at rf. Hopefully, I’ll get some pedal.

Just a sidelight, when we tried bleeding at the wheel, the pedal would go down that 1 1/2” and push fluid out on the rear ones, but on the fronts, the pedal would not go down, and pushed out precious little fluid.

My own rig has an early single MC, so I’m kinda scrambling in the dark.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC no pedal Reply with quote

It's so much more beneficial to bench-bleed the MC because it pre-purges so much air that you would otherwise introduce into the lines, and then thus have to chase out of the system in a more tedious manner (i.e. at the wheels).
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC no pedal Reply with quote

New master cylinders often require power bleeding to purge all the air. Some suppliers make a point of mentioning this (Wolfsburg West, for example), but most neglect to tell customers. This is what you'd need:

https://www.motiveproducts.com/products/air-cooled-vw-bleeder

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New MC no pedal Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:

All established sources say leave the pushrod adjustment as is. Don’t touch that mofo. Then some threads say go ahead adjust it.

There's no need to adjust the brake pushrod
(1) if it has NEVER been adjusted before
and
(2) if the recess/depth in the new master cylinder is the same as the existing cylinder

Who here can verify that on their own VW???

By the way, I do not pull the pedals to replace a master cylinder either. And I ALWAYS bench bleed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: