Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges not working......
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Yea, I thought I could get away with it.I'll search for a new assembly and hope I can find the appropriate rod.......
I 'll take out the seat and hope I don't kill my back trying to put this in....Not much room in these buggy's to work in...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Well I was able to order the peddle assy. But the rod was a bit more researching. I did find it on ebay and they are pricey. It looks like the one on the bottom pictured by
MrGoodtunes. 40 bucks....Now we play the waiting game....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

What year chassis? There are 2 styles of push rod. I'm only really familiar with the older one. It looked like this (a good example in that thread.) There is a later style for later pedal assemblies. Others here will know that setup, my '64 is almost to new for me. Smile
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Shocked I wish the wiring in my car looked that nice! You wouldn't believe what some PO left me with. A huge rats nest with connections "insulated" with masking tape, bare hot wires hanging under the dash... it's scary. I'd post a pic but the forum would probably burst into flames. Sad I've done a lot, but there's so much to do. Rolling Eyes I have a new harness for it. One or these days. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

I will be replacing this abomination soon, but for now everything works and there are no bare wires exposed. Right now I'm working on the undercarriage, cleaning and painting, as I wait for more brake parts to come in. Good luck with your wiring, and if you can post up some pics, that would help all of us less savvy......Thanks .....
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Old topic, new problem. Had to replace the oil pressure gauge. Got a vdo I had stashed away. It reads 80 psi, also along with a a new pressure switch, with reads 10-180 stamped on it. The switch is stamped with an s and a - on each side . I have the the s side connected to the positive side of the coil and the - to ground on the block. The back side of the new gauge is marked with a + on one side and a s on the other, and on the bottom of that a -, that I'm guessing is ground or negative wire. light sockets on top. I have no schematics for the wiring. As I have mention in my previous post's I know next to nothing about auto electrical wiring. Anyway As I turned the key to the ignition on the gauge pegged out at 80 psi. I turned the engine on to run and the same thing, stayed at 80psi. I'm guessing its wired wrong, but where? The the switch ? The gauge? This has been such a fun project...Help from those in the know please. Shocked
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Just found the pic......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

The "switch" (sender) does not "connect" to the coil or engine block ground.... Sender feeds ground to gauge through its internal mechanism while getting its ground from threaded connection to block..

https://www.vdo-instruments.com/instructions/0%20515%20012%20123%20--%20Electric%20Gauges.pdf

https://www.vdo.com/media/182591/flc_sensors_instrumentation_en.pdf

Use "standard" ground wiring...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Ok Dale so your saying I should just connect a wire straight from the sender to the s side of the gauge, correct?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Ok Dale so your saying I should just connect a wire straight from the sender to the s side of the gauge, correct?

That is how it "usually" works, but I am not aware of any VDO sender that uses "S " & "A" on it....The only two pole sender I am aware of uses "WK" for idiot light and "G" for "signal" to gauge...

See page 14 of this document

https://www.vdo.com/media/182591/flc_sensors_instrumentation_en.pdf

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

I bought the gauges from a local guy some years back and the sender came with them in a package but no instructions. So here I am. Thanks for the help though. Will post with results.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Well, I wired the gauge with the wire straight from the sender to the s side of the gauge and attached a negative wire from the gauge to a grounding point on the chassis, turned the key and nothing happened. Read 0 ....When I attached a test light to ground on the gauge, then it would peg out to 80 psi. I think The sender might be shot? Thoughts?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

IF you remove wire from sender to gauge and gauge goes full scale it means open wire between sender and gauge or open in sender .... IF you ground sender wire at sender and gauge goes hard "0" it means you have a shorted (to ground) sender or sender wire is grounded between sender and gauge....

Pretty common test for fuel gauge, oil pressure and temp gauges...

THE positive (+) terminal on gauge is 12 volts probably indirectly from battery (through ign switch) the negative (-) terminal on gauge is direct to ground.... These are constants, it just has to be that way or gauge will not work...

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Ok Dale, let me see if I can wrap my head of what your saying, I possibly shorted the sender, correct?... Per.... IF you remove wire from sender to gauge and gauge goes full scale it means open wire between sender and gauge or open in sender .... IF you ground sender wire at sender and gauge goes hard "0" it means you have a shorted (to ground) sender or sender wire is grounded between sender and gauge....Its just the wiring that's confusing to me. Sounds simple, but then it turns to spaghetti to me... Funny but it not if I can't get things working. It takes me some time... Duhhhh.....But we are lucky to have guys like you to help dummy's like some of us. It what these venues are all about....
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpb-hp387?srslt...aHduxybGZc

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

Ok, its been awhile since my last post. Had to have back surgery back in July 2023, and haven't been able to work on my buggy since. Its getting nice and warm lately her in the Carolinas, so am attempting to get back at it, though I'm still recuperating. My issues with the lighting haven't been resolved. My turn signals are still out of whack. Only this time when I pull the head light switch the passenger side turn signal wont work and the running lights to the right side do not go on. The fuses are all good. Could it be a ground problem?. I might have asked this before. Please forgive if these are repeat inquiries, I don't recall what I have asked before. I'm so frustrated with this .....
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Ok, its been awhile since my last post. Had to have back surgery back in July 2023, and haven't been able to work on my buggy since. Its getting nice and warm lately her in the Carolinas, so am attempting to get back at it, though I'm still recuperating. My issues with the lighting haven't been resolved. My turn signals are still out of whack. Only this time when I pull the head light switch the passenger side turn signal wont work and the running lights to the right side do not go on. The fuses are all good. Could it be a ground problem?. I might have asked this before. Please forgive if these are repeat inquiries, I don't recall what I have asked before. I'm so frustrated with this .....

Yes odd lamp operation when not supposed to be on or switch does not do what it is supposed to do it is very possible a "ground" issue....

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges not working...... Reply with quote

It might be a ground issue . The only thing I can think of doing is to go on everything that I think should be grounded and with a copper wire test the ground the that part to a good ground either on the chasse or frame or other grounded location. I read this on another forum. If the lights dimmer or actually come or off , the issue might be there?....And of course I have to test the head light switch, It the original vw switch. I don't understand, since everything was working previously....Electronics are a night mare for me... We'll see.... Mad
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Signal Light Issues Reply with quote

Well just an update. I got the light to all work, but the driver side turn signal seem to dull and now the passenger side are very bright when they blink. the rears work ok but when I pull the head light switch they get a bit dull as well. I went through each bulb and cleaned up the wires that I thought would ground them that seemed to help. The only thing didn't do was replace the ground straps from the engine to the trans. Had to order the straps. Couldn't find then here locally. .Will also change the neg. battery cable as well.. What do you guys think?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: