Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Titanium rods
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Titanium rods Reply with quote

Have any of ya’ll ever run titanium connecting rods?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

How much fkn money do you think guys on here have?

Jezzus if a set of valves is $4000 how much do you think a set of rods is worth? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

I made semi-custom titanium Ferrea intake valves. They were about 700.

Rods will set you back about 3 grand from Pauter, but the benefits will be few, unless you’ve exhausted all other options for weight reductions.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

sorry if titanium is out of your budget but there's no need to ruin or divert a post because of that. considering some of the rides ive seen on here and a few of the lurkers ive talked to that have well over 20k in some engines they've built , and ive seen several Pauter engines in the classifieds for sale for 30k + , I dont think my question is unreasonable to assume that people here can afford them. in fact I think it'd be insulting to assume the samba's members couldn't
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

I've ran aluminum rods. They're drag race only.
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

Does a titanium hip count? I run that!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

Tbirdusa wrote:

Oooo nice! I'm in need of one of those. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

Tbirdusa wrote:

I see your hip, raise you 2 pins, a plate, and 8 screws
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

I fold. And sold my VW habit to a guy in AZ.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

Maybe Mexxspeed?
John Connolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

JET used to make them. Berg sold them.

Pauter used to make some aluminum rods too, sand and drag stuff. I'd guess lifespan was short on those.

If you want no-BS technical advice privately, feel free to DM me. Donations appreciated (food gift certificates, etc).
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

John Connolly wrote:
JET used to make them. Berg sold them.

Pauter used to make some aluminum rods too, sand and drag stuff. I'd guess lifespan was short on those.

the thing about aluminum rods is that you have to untorque them in between race weekends.... mainly because the cap serrations which are completely necessary will cause fractures if left torqued

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

I was just informed today by Carrillo that titanium rods have a lifespan of 120 hours. I figure thats just long enough for a race season
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

Porsche titanium rods, all they had to go was 24hrs. Legendary

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

Porsche GT3 street engines (and similar street Ferrari's) run Titanium rods as stock and sold tens of thousands.
I know for a fact that GT3 engines can run 200K kilometers without rod issues.

Also older Corvette engines run Ti valves as stock. Those surely run very high milage on the valve train when maintained properly as well.
Special care/procedure and tools upon removal and re-assembling is needed though.

Ti as a material for valves and rods works (very) well imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

yeh the guy at Carrillo mentioned that but said the oem rods were beefier. so if the stock rods will last that long because their beefier are the Carrillo ones just weak & flimsy ? how does one titanium part last thousands of miles and the other a couple hundred, maybe.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

There are a TON of things that play into that. Ultimately it is down to the design goals. What may seem “weak and flimsy” for a road car expected to go 150k may be plenty beefy for a race car that only has to run short distances for a limited time.

There are several Ti alloys commonly used, each with different strength and fatigue properties. The solution treatment, aging process, and any heat treat processes greatly affect the strength properties and size of the grains. The forging process changes alignment of the grains. The beams section profile and length changes the columnar buckling strength. The geometry and surface finish have a large impact on fatigue strength… so many other things.

It’s all about the design goals. A rod for a dedicated race engine and a rod for a high performance street car have different priorities. That’s all, really.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

The Acura NSX ran titanium connecting rods from the factory also.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanium rods Reply with quote

The weight of the reciprocating mass and piston speeds play a large part in rod life. Run your titanium with a sub 300g piston (custom) and you can drive it for a very long time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: