Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

A bit of progress on the wiring front. I have switched the 12V Battery from the Passenger to the Drivers side for a couple of reasons.

Firstly the 12V loom is on the R.H Side and gives me easy access to the loom plus all the extra wires run down the same route.

Because there is no starter I don't need any CCA Amps so the battery only needs to be a small Lithium Battery same as on a Motorbike.

I modified a Battery Isolator switch with the help of plumbing fittings from Home Depot and mounted it in the existing hole in the driver's side engine compartment.

The Engine compartment will have panels on either side to hide the Battery and also the 12V distribution I have made.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Making the external housing for the switch from plumbing fittings so it can fit in the existing hole and secured from the rear

This is where it is mounted once again trying to utilise existing holes

The switch is all mounted up

The 12V Distribution Board all mounted and mostly wired this supplies low voltage feed to power all the accessories Blower, Vacuum Pump for Brakes and brains for the EV connections (restrict speed in Reverse etc). Once again this will have side panels that will hide all this and provide a clean look engine compartment.
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Sweet build, what sort of rotary switch did you use ?
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

It's just a Battery Isolator switch that I picked up at the Auto Parts store

Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

I was talking about the one under you seat that I think you said was for Fwd / reverse
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

LOL sorry I got that from AliExpress just search DNR Switch
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Well Ive finally finished the 12V wiring side of things. I had to feed an additional 20 Wires mostly to the overhead console and I have managed to do it by routing it through the existing holes and following the existing loom so underneath everything looks stock standard.

The overhead console supplies all the information Speed, Charge, and Range also you can change from FWD to Rev on the touchscreen, show High Beam Indicators etc.

The hanging orange Ball is a Tram Bell that "Dings" when pulled to alert pedestrians to get out of the way as there is no engine noise.

Also wired a door switch that is connected to a Buzzer so when the ignition is on and the Drivers Door is open it is a warning that you are in live mode (an EV requirement in our country)

Color Matched the Steering Wheel and Horn Switch

Changed the Battery to the driver's side and made a small subboard on the RH side as this is where all the looms come up. These will all be hidden as there are side panels to be installed on both sides giving the engine bay a really clean look.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Looks like a museum piece already.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Red isn't one of my favorite colors, but that matte paint on the dash and surrounding areas looks great.
kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Started the assembly of the battery boxes for the last time. These sit under the rear seat, so will be hidden but I will have a switch that when you lift the seat it will light the inner workings of the battery and drivers.

Built a new battery box which was powder coated and is now installed.

I built side panels in the engine bay that are getting color matched to the body and made some Perspex and solids covers for the rear wiring to either hide it or show it.

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Engine Bay is Complete

The side panels have been painted and installed, I have made small access panels that are easy to remove to access the 12V Battery and fuses without having to remove the larger side panels.

A battery meter tells me the voltage of the 12V battery and a LED strip to light the engine bay.

kiwipip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 61 Double Cab EV Conversion Build thread Reply with quote

Well, the installation is finally complete. All the batteries and wiring are now finished on both High and Low-voltage sides. Just waiting for the Trimmers to Start the seat and door panel upholstery and then hopefully dial in the motor. Hopefully will be able to post some video up shortly actually on the road.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: