Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Rabbit or Caddy/Sportruck/pickup- If you are considering the "facelift" style dash from ~ '81 on the US-build models, please reconsider- I find those hideous and a far cry from the early Rabbit style. Scirocco could work, as could a German-build Rabbit Cabrio that also had the "refined" later dash but was produced a few years longer than the Rabbit sedan and Scirocco 1.

How about an Audi 4000? Built in the same era as your Dasher, based on the same general body shell so the width should be right on, and possibly sold in higher numbers than the Dasher... It's been many, many years since I last saw a 4000 though, so the chance of you finding a parts car with a usable dash is only slightly more optimistic than from a late Dasher.

What about a Quantum's dash, the generation body after the Dasher? Once again, maybe a few millimeters wider than the Dasher, and also- hard to find.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Here's a Dasher in the background, ready for crushing... but in Pennsylvania.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In this Ghia thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=789964&highlight=
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Here's a Dasher in the background, ready for crushing... but in Pennsylvania.

In this Ghia thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=789964&highlight=

Thanks for the tip! I reached out to the guy so we will see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Rabbit or Caddy/Sportruck/pickup- If you are considering the "facelift" style dash from ~ '81 on the US-build models, please reconsider- I find those hideous and a far cry from the early Rabbit style. Scirocco could work, as could a German-build Rabbit Cabrio that also had the "refined" later dash but was produced a few years longer than the Rabbit sedan and Scirocco 1.

How about an Audi 4000? Built in the same era as your Dasher, based on the same general body shell so the width should be right on, and possibly sold in higher numbers than the Dasher... It's been many, many years since I last saw a 4000 though, so the chance of you finding a parts car with a usable dash is only slightly more optimistic than from a late Dasher.

What about a Quantum's dash, the generation body after the Dasher? Once again, maybe a few millimeters wider than the Dasher, and also- hard to find.

These are all great suggestions that I will be researching. I have also been thinking about creating my own dash. WAY more work, but as a graphic designer I like the design challenge that redoing the dash and interior could be. Regardless of the direction this is very valuable intel I have been looking for so thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

I would like to add some suggestions for thought:

- Keep the ''Passat", sorry 'Dasher' dash Laughing , maybe just fix the cracks and recover it with brown vynil?

- Move the speed a couple notches and change the steering wheel for a Brown 2-spoke 924 steering or even better, a 911 3-spoke Brown steering (924 turbo)

- On the wheels subject, get a set of Porsche cookie cutters, yes cladd in traditional Silver (no Black, no Chrome, no nothing else)

- The Glass looks all around original and in good condition, but at least in Europe, this Passat generation could be had with Bronze glass, it's soooo gorgeous! Cool

Well, I guess this sums up it really (sorry for all that Porsche stuff, that's what money is for anyway!) Laughing
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

TornadoRed06 wrote:
I would like to add some suggestions for thought:

- Keep the ''Passat", sorry 'Dasher' dash Laughing , maybe just fix the cracks and recover it with brown vynil?

- Move the speed a couple notches and change the steering wheel for a Brown 2-spoke 924 steering or even better, a 911 3-spoke Brown steering (924 turbo)

- On the wheels subject, get a set of Porsche cookie cutters, yes cladd in traditional Silver (no Black, no Chrome, no nothing else)

- The Glass looks all around original and in good condition, but at least in Europe, this Passat generation could be had with Bronze glass, it's soooo gorgeous! Cool

Well, I guess this sums up it really (sorry for all that Porsche stuff, that's what money is for anyway!) Laughing

I've been thinking about ways I could salvage the dash. Also curious if I could rework it and use it for a mold to create a new fiberglass or carbon fiber version. Overall I like the look of the original dash and I would like to keep it, but it is pretty knarled. This of course would be the build phase of the project not the get is driving phase.

I like hearing these suggestions and I am still pulling together a creative brief for the project to cast vision for where it can go. I'll post that when it is done.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

\I've been talking with Larry from that Ghia thread (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=789964&highlight=)

He's sent me a few pictures of 3 different VW Dashers and gave me permission to share here. If anyone is looking for a project and is close to Pennsylvania, give him a call: 272 446 7495.

The 4 door 78 or 79 is going to the crusher in the next few weeks. I got dibs on parts, but there is way more to it still!

The silver green coupe with the beautiful patina and the orange 4 door look to be the same or similar earlier years and if I were closer to Pennsylvania, this would be the set to buy. orange for parts, Green Silver to restore. Could be an awesome project for someone!

TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

Madness, so many nice cars out there! Sad
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Farrah Fawcett | Dasher Remastered Reply with quote

TornadoRed06 wrote:
Madness, so many nice cars out there! Sad

I know! I wish there was a way they could all get restored and put back on the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: