Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mount retrofit console to floor?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vndlfsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

What would be the best way to permanently mount something to the floor between the seats on my 1997 EVC?

Rivnuts? Sheet metal screws?

Anybody out there ever tried doing anything similar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

I haven’t seen anything, but drilling through the floor there might not be wise. There are coolant lines that run to the secondary heater core, not to mention the fuel tank under the seats.
Have you considered something that might be able to be secured using the existing seat mounting bolts on each side of the walk through?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd just use heavy duty velcro and call that good enough.
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

Agree with Mike - when I first got my '97 EVC, at first I thought it seemed like it was really calling for a console between the two front seats - an oversight by VW.

Then I discovered just how often my partner and I travel through that very tight pathway to the back of the van, Han Solo-style. So we keep the aisle nice and clear.

A permanent solution would also prevent the passenger seat from swiveling - which for us is a must.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

I think heavy duty velcro could work well but you need to consider the weight of everything combined, the console plus what you put in it. I'm guessing you would put the hook part on the bottom of the console and have it grip the carpet.

When I was trying to figure out what to do I contemplated running a thin metal bar between the seats. It would be thin enough to slip under each seat base but strong enough to hold the console during an accident. A bolted down seat base would secure the bar. I don't know about the EVC seats but 1/8" would work with Weekender seat bases. I would put a bolt into the bar facing up and set the console on the bolt. Now don't follow my next steps, which was to do nothing, at least until I completely redid my console and now it's bolted to a seat base.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

We do not use the passageway to the back. We travel with our two dogs and have a fence to keep the in the back.
Gravity is just fine for keeping a console in place. We used the "Rampage" console with two good drink holders from Amazon. Works fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
02Berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
[snip] We used the "Rampage" console with two good drink holders from Amazon. Works fine.

Would you be willing to link to the specific console, at Amazon? Thanks.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

I think the floor under the carpet is sheet metal.

I have had very good luck with these rare earth magnet sets. They are extremely useful in these situations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8C4N43

The 110 lb magnets would likely be best. Screw a few to the bottom of the console and see if it helps it stay put on the floor to your liking.

Another way to do this: the seat bases on the EVC are steel, and I've used these magnets, mounted on the back of a utility brush, to keep the brush handy behind the passenger seat. You can see the brush in the photo below.

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mount retrofit console to floor? Reply with quote

02Berry wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
[snip] We used the "Rampage" console with two good drink holders from Amazon. Works fine.

Would you be willing to link to the specific console, at Amazon? Thanks.

Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/RAMPAGE-PRODUCTS-39223-Univ...amp;sr=8-3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: